My new tortoise site

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Wonderful thread.
But I don't miss England's prices and weather.
I used to keep slow worms in Somerset.
Lovely little things.
It looks like it's going to be a five star enclosure for your torts.
I'll try my best. Needs a good buffet to be 5* lol.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
At first I thought, "Let me take that greenhouse off your hands for you"! Hehe ;D

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well finally got to the actual building part. The builders reckon it will take 10 days from digging the footings to being complete.
They have started the bricks to bring level and dropped 6 ton of hardcore in to raise the floor off the ground. Next is sand then a visqualine sheet to stop cold and damp rising then insulation and concrete. the floor will have a 4% drop to the drainage hole so nothing will get stagnant in there. After the floor is complete its time to erect the rest of the building. The inner wall will be made of fiberlight grade cinder blocks, these are dense and have good thermal property, the wall cavity will have a standard insulation and inner wall coated with a zoo grade rubber paint, my rain system will in effect clean the land in the enclosure as rain outside does. This is 3 days work, the ground work is the slowest process.

Oh yeah,nearly forgot. I am not responsible for how that conifer tree has been trimmed.(last photo) lol
However, guess what. I am responsible for putting it right. HUH :D

IMG-20150616-WA0001.jpg IMG_20150615_181659.jpg IMG_20150615_181729.jpg IMG-20150618-WA0002.jpg IMG-20150618-WA0004.jpg IMG-20150618-WA0005.jpg IMG-20150618-WA0006.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
What were we talking about again? ;D Oh yes, the enclosure looks great so far!
OK. Back on topic :). Building should be done for end july latest. Then to start on the inside. The guys are building it me in there spare time. So can't grumble. Can't wait to start on inside. :D and thank you.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
ha ha.
But yes, it does.
And super secure also.
Security is my biggest fear. Will be belled up and also a steel door on the inside. So I have to put my hand through a small hole and around the corner to a padlock. Then a standard upvc 7 point door in front of that.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Now the base of the walls are set, they have pounded the hardcore, added a layer of sand, then a damp proof sheet, then a lay the insulation boards on the sheet and now pouring a 4" thick slab of concrete on that, tapering to the drainage. The sheet overlaps at the back up to my drive. With this they can tank the back wall of the enclosure, so I can fill the gap between the old wall and new wall to the level of the drive without worrying about damp coming through the outer enclosure wall.

IMG-20150623-WA0003.jpg IMG-20150623-WA0004.jpg

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
All right! :D Always good when you can keep out extra moisture from causing damage!