My new tortoise table in work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clintdowns

5 Year Member
I started making this table. What's your thoughts. I am not done, actually just getting started. It is 30 inches x 6 feet. Walls are 12 inches tall. One post for a heat lamp. I'm on my 2nd coat of poly. Best I could come up with to keep the moisture into the wood.

Debating on whether of not to put 3 or 4 Russians or a couple sulcatas. Let me know what you think. All opinions are welcome.

Attachments

• image-110721692.png
    image-110721692.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 176
  • image-378313822.png
    image-378313822.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 137
  • image-811633548.png
    image-811633548.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
  • image-2838641271.png
    image-2838641271.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 115

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Looks like it would turn out to be a nice home a few Russian hatchlings or a single adult. Due to the size, and how fast they grow, I personally wouldn't house Sulcatas in that enclosure.

clintdowns

5 Year Member
theelectraco said:
Looks like it would turn out to be a nice home a few Russian hatchlings or a single adult. Due to the size, and how fast they grow, I personally wouldn't house Sulcatas in that enclosure.

How many Russians do you think.

jessrich87

5 Year Member
If you decide on sulcatas, just stick with one. Looking good so far! Looks like a lot of work went into it.

clintdowns

5 Year Member
Here is my table now that it has been completed.

What's your thoughts.

Attachments

• image-34238609.png
    image-34238609.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • image-934069575.png
    image-934069575.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
  • image-3375451524.png
    image-3375451524.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 77

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
Are those two lights or is one of them a CHE? If they are lights you need an another source of heat for when the lights go off. Have you taken temps in the far corners away from your lights? I would put a CHE or two on the other side of the enclosure so you don't have cool spots. A hide would also be nice. Other than that it is really great. I love your wooden tortoise, very crafty!

clintdowns

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
Are those two lights or is one of them a CHE? If they are lights you need an another source of heat for when the lights go off. Have you taken temps in the far corners away from your lights? I would put a CHE or two on the other side of the enclosure so you don't have cool spots. A hide would also be nice. Other than that it is really great. I love your wooden tortoise, very crafty!

I am not sure what you are calling a CHE. On the left I have a 250 watt heat lamp. In the middle I have a 125 watt UVB bulb. You are correct. I do not have anything for heat when the light goes out. I guess I need something. On Wednesday morning I should be receiving my 11 inch sulcata female. She will not stay in here all the time. Just when the weather is bad.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I, personally, think this could work for a male/female pair of Russians. With enough sight barriers, the female would probably be ok from the males constant advances. Otherwise, too small for a sulcata. Once there is a tort in there, you'll want to keep items out of the corners. They amaze me often on their climbing skills. When they climb well enough, they either fall out of the habitat or flip in to their back inside the habitat. You can put pieces of wood across the corners and that will help with the falling out part. Otherwise, I like it and I'm happy to see this is made before the tort is with you. Planning ahead speaks volumes towards your caricature.

A CHE is a ceramic heat emitter. They look like this;

View attachment 38230

They radiate heat without any light.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
clintdowns said:
I am not sure what you are calling a CHE. On the left I have a 250 watt heat lamp. In the middle I have a 125 watt UVB bulb. You are correct. I do not have anything for heat when the light goes out. I guess I need something. On Wednesday morning I should be receiving my 11 inch sulcata female. She will not stay in here all the time. Just when the weather is bad.

I understand this is only a temporary enclosure but it is way too small for a sulcata of that size.

Status
Not open for further replies.