My newest family member

Stellavt

Location (City and/or State)
Steelpoort
Hi all, i am Stella. I live in Steelpoort Limpopo South Africa. We saved a little tortoise from becoming soup to somone els. We dont want to let him back into the wild for fearing someone els might catch him for the same reason. He is living in our house since yesterday with my cats and dog. Dont worry, they show no intrest in him. I take him outside to roam while im working in my garden. So he does get enough sunlight. What can i feed him and how can i tell his age. He fits in my one hand. I also dont know what kind of tortoise he is.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome! Good you saved the tortoise from turning into soup!

upload a few pictures of your new friend so someone can help ID.

Be very careful around dogs.......they have been known to quickly snap, run & chew on torts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!
That's a leopard tortoise. Here's a link to our care sheet:

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
Great job on saving the tortoise (sorry soup eaters) and welcome to the forum! The care sheet Yvonne G linked is perfect and tells you pretty much everything. It is hard to tell the age, but you can predict based on the size. Good luck!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcome and well done for the rescue. I am sure with the care sheet and a safe environment it will reward you for the rescue. It needs an appropriate lucky name.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome - he is lovely and I'm so pleased you saved him from becoming soup.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi here are a few photos of my tortoise

View attachment 313957
Can we see more pics? And the plastron too?

Because your dog isn't showing interest now doesn't mean it won't tomorrow. Or the next day. Keep the tortoise separate from the dog. It will do no good to rescue the tortoise from the soup pot, only to have it chewed up by your dog. No one thinks their dog will chew up their tortoise, until it happens. Everyone one of them was wrong and found out too late.

The tortoise needs to be contained in a large enclosure indoor and out.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I also believe it is a Leopard Tortoise (S. p. babcocki).
I agree. That is a leopard tortoise. A few different clades of the leopard tortoise are native to S Africa. As Zovick said, that is what we used to refer to as the S. p. babcocki subspecies.