My outdoor enclosure and continuous improvements.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Joanne said:
I love all the work you are doing for your tortoises. I especially love your Hermanns! Your garden looks lovely. I'm sure your tortoises will enjoy it so much!

Thank you for visit this thread and for your reply.

Jacqui said:
What a wonderful thread! Glad your wife loves it, I know I love just seeing it. Want to come build me a wall like that? :D Oh my what a lucky lady she is.Boy the labor you have put into this from mixing all those bags of cement to hauling those blocks and building the way. My body hurts just thinking of it all. :) What are some of the things your growing in your garden?

If you want to talk about LUCKY. I think I'm the LUCKY one. I'm so lucky to have a wife also, or not more LOVE all the tortoises we have. She is the one perform and provide the daily care of all our babies, soaking, feeding, cleaning, etc. I just provide a hard labor from time to time. My wife is so wonderful.

Thank you very much for your reply. It really encouraging me to continue to improve the enclosure and posting. Thanks.

Yvonne G said:
Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Thank you Yvonn--The Old Timer. Thank you for your visit and reply. It is a Honor to me. Thanks.

Jacqui said:
What a wonderful thread! Glad your wife loves it, I know I love just seeing it. Want to come build me a wall like that? :D Oh my what a lucky lady she is.Boy the labor you have put into this from mixing all those bags of cement to hauling those blocks and building the way. My body hurts just thinking of it all. :) What are some of the things your growing in your garden?

It is my Mother in-law plants and grow all those veges. It depend by the season. We have green bean, long bean, cucumber, spinach, baby Boc chao. Yam (leaf to feed the tortoise), Kale, corn, chive, fava bean, onion, lettuce.

She is the one who have a very green thumb. Thanks to her, our tortoise have lots fresh, home grow greens to eat.

IMG_1336.JPGIMG_1337.JPGIMG_1338.JPGIMG_1339.JPGIMG_1340.JPGIMG_1335.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Here we laid the foundation for the "Little Pig's" house. This will be a 36" X 72" floor plan.

IMG_1533.JPGIMG_1535.JPG

We added 3/4 inch thick of insulated material on the floor and roof, 1/2 thick for the wall.

IMG_1536.JPG

36" X 72" double panel window as the door. Less then $150.00 from Home Depot or Lowe's.

IMG_1538.JPG

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Insulation for the wall.

IMG_1541.JPG

Put in the floor.

IMG_1542.JPG

Seal the entire room. I cut two opening at floor level so I can use garden hose to hose-off the poo and dirt on the floor.

IMG_1544.JPG

Here is the attic, I will run all the wire and controls here.

IMG_1543.JPG

Here is the look of the completion of "The Little Pig's" outdoor house.

IMG_1583.JPG IMG_1584.JPG

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My internet is running slow tonight (as usual), so opening pictures takes forever, so I cheated and only opened the last two with the finished building. It just looks so nice and has such clean lines. I love all the windows. How does it do in the full sun as far as heat, so far?

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I love the finished house with pictures. What a great idea using windows. How does it maintain temperatures? Great job :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Wow, my back is tired, I am jealous of your garden, and so on! ;)

That means you have done excellent work.
And your English is just fine. You speak tortoise talk.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Jacqui said:
My internet is running slow tonight (as usual), so opening pictures takes forever, so I cheated and only opened the last two with the finished building. It just looks so nice and has such clean lines. I love all the windows. How does it do in the full sun as far as heat, so far?

Thank you Jacqui for your reply.

I have connect power from the house to this Tortoise shack. I have a friend which is a licensed electrician, he will come one of the weekend to help me to run the underground power cable from the house to the shack. Overhead cable are much easier to build and pull but will not look good.
Then I will run the temperature control for the heat lamp ( I got a 250W CHE already), I also have couple ZOOMED deep dome installed in the shack, one can use for Mage-Ray 100W Mercury vapour lamp which I also bought. So basically the heat will be regulated by a temperature control.
IMG_1768.JPG IMG_1586.JPG

I also thinking of a oil filled heater that I saw many of you are using for the outdoor tortoise shack. the cost is only around $70.00. I think I will order one before next winter.

A timer will install and control the ZOOMED 48 inches T5 UVB light tube. I will set 12 hrs a day, 7 days a week for winter and have not yet figure out how many hours for the summer, I figured the Little Pig will spend most of the day outside.
IMG_1521.JPG

I forget to take a picture of a bathroom exhaust fan I also installed on the upper corner of the ceiling, this exhaust fan will also connected to a temperature controller , when the room temperature exceed 100 F, the fen will kick-in to cool the room by circulating the air.

TortsNTurtles said:
I love the finished house with pictures. What a great idea using windows. How does it maintain temperatures? Great job :)
[/quote

I hope my reply above provided the answer of your question.

Thank you also for the encouraging words.

lynnedit said:
Wow, my back is tired, I am jealous of your garden, and so on! ;)

That means you have done excellent work.
And your English is just fine. You speak tortoise talk.

Thank you for your visit and all the encouraging words.

Just like what I said: As long as my wife is happy. It all worth it.

Volksvegan

Ontario, Canada
I am absolutely amazed and impressed with your entire wonderful tortoise paradise! So much hard work but so well done.
Thanks for sharing.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Volksvegan said:
I am absolutely amazed and impressed with your entire wonderful tortoise paradise! So much hard work but so well done.
Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your reply and the kind words. I still have so much to learn.

This is a wonderful platform, I'm glad I found it. Thanks.