Outdoor Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

kit-e-kat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gardena, Ca.
Hello All!
Need some opinions on building an outdoor enclosure. My main concern is burrowing. I have Greeks, and they like to burrow in for the night. Anyway, I'm using cinderblocks to build multiple pens, each pen being about 4' X 6'. My main concern with the Greeks burrowing under and out of the pen. How deep should a barrier be underground. The are still young, about 3 Y.O.. I am looking ahead in the future. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
John

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
The depth of one cinder block(8 inches) would be plenty, you could even just bury half the cinder block for a 4 inch depth. What I have done is line the inside wall of my pen with softball size rocks to eliminate them digging out. If they try to dig under the rock, it falls into the hole they are digging.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
jeffbens0n said:
The depth of one cinder block(8 inches) would be plenty, you could even just bury half the cinder block for a 4 inch depth. What I have done is line the inside wall of my pen with softball size rocks to eliminate them digging out. If they try to dig under the rock, it falls into the hole they are digging.

and traps them in. Now you can catch the culprit digger :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi John:

The only pens I've dug down into the ground are the box turtle pens. For all my tortoises what I do is buy a bunch of masonry caps (they look like rectangular stepping stones) and lay them end-to-end right up against the fence.

When I tortoise decides he's going to dig under the fence he walks right up to the fence and starts digging. He doesn't say, "Oh, I see that there is a cement border here. I guess I'd better back up and dig under the cement." He'll dig right next to the fence, on the cement.

If you are in the pen building process, you can actually start your bottom board on the top of the cement. But it works just as good laying next to the fence.

This has worked so far for Russians, desert tortoises and Dudley.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
You Can Dig The Blocks In The Ground!
Or Dig Some Chicken Wire In The Ground, Or Even Just Build A Couple Burrows
so They Dont Feel The Need To :)

Status
Not open for further replies.