my red foot tortoise rubbing her shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Stoney creek ontario
i was cleaning my female red foots tortoise box today and when i was in it cleaning it (6ftx10ft) she came up to me and was rubbing her shell on me and her tail was wagging what does this mean??

thanks

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have no idea, sounds very interesting. Hopefully someone knows because I would like to know as well..

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
How old is your Red Foot?
Perhaps she is being friendly? I don't think tortoises get itchy shells do they? Is that possible?
Very interesting

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
she is 9 years old i thought it would have something to do with she wants to mate? but i do not that a male YET and im looking for one for her but yes she is very friendly. either that or she didnt want me in her house i dont know

Tortoise said:
How old is your Red Foot?
Perhaps she is being friendly? I don't think tortoises get itchy shells do they? Is that possible?
Very interesting

LindaF

5 Year Member
My red foot only "wags" his tail when he is about to poop.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Wagging tail often means pooping, although I have seen mine wag when they are walking around in a very large habitat.

The rubbing part is also interesting.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
yea like when shes out side she always wags her tail even inside but she doesnt go to the bathroom and yes im determined to find out why she rubs up against me its weird but cool

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
It's just her way of saying"is that a banana in your pocket,or are you just happy to see me".

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Dale wags all of the time and so does Fernando. Sometimes I think it's because they're flirting and other times I think it's a dominance thing. I like Terry's video. Dale does do that too when you rub his butt. :p :D

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Many torts like being scratched in the manner shown in the video. I have seen RF's approach and stand on their tiptoes waiting for their daily scratch. Apparently their carapaces occasionally itch. It seems to occur more often in captive reared individuals - maybe due to the more rapid growth or lack of sufficient plant undergrowth upon which they would naturally rub.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
i love those videos! but my redfoot does this too, she did it for a long time one day when i changed the dirt, she rubbed her back end up against a plant for a very long time. I thought maybe it was a scent thing or a mating thing, but i havent figured it out :)

starLover

5 Year Member
hahaha, i watch those videos few times. My star rubs its shell againt flower pots when she roam around the garden. :) maybe i should aid with a brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.