New Tortoise Red Foot

Janelle Green

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hello and welcome! Absolutely beautiful redfoot. Congratulations!

We were just talking about this in another thread, but the initial investment for a tortoise (i.e purchase price) is totally irrelevant as long as you are happy with the animal, because you will spend that same amount a hundred times over on continual care for your new pet. As you can see, I am sure your organic grocery bill lightened the wallet nicely......

What kind of pellets did they have her on? You may have to gradually ween her off by mixing them in with new foods, or she may just begin devouring the fruits/veggies no questions asked. All RF are different with their personalities and eating habits; stubbornness generally the common denominator with all of them haha.

Thanks for sharing, and again, WELCOME!
She's being a little stubborn about the fresh food I kept putting her near it and she finally ate some before passing out yesterday. Oh ya pricey hobby really worth it though ❤️

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I also feed mango.
Here it grows like a weed. However, there is a drawback. They are very sugary and very sticky/sappy. Do not leave any cut up mango out for very long. Then remove any uneaten part.... If there is any... and the plate. That is one substance that brings the ants!

Janelle Green

Colorado
I also feed mango.
Here it grows like a weed. However, there is a drawback. They are very sugary and very sticky/sappy. Do not leave any cut up mango out for very long. Then remove any uneaten part.... If there is any... and the plate. That is one substance that brings the ants!
Mangos like my favorite to so we will share :) I gave her some today hope she eats it she's being picky

Janelle Green

Colorado
I also heard to leave the skin of the mangos on cuz their very good for them but my tortoises always leave the skins of everything it's funny

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Have you tried apples ? My girls loves those to

Ha! Funny you should say that, I just fed mine an apple today. Word of warning, though, they are very sugary and should only be fed on rare occasions. i try to keep it once a month. Today, Ginger climbed onto my lap looking for the apple after I had trashed it. She's learning to be very agile. ;) She's so cute!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
View attachment 190537 She's a lot smaller than I thought about 5inches. We probably over paid for her but it's hard to find tortoises in Colorado especially species other than Russians my husband did talk them down $100 so we paid $250 for her and she's really healthy but was kept with a leopard tortoise the day we got her so I'm going to call my vet get her a check up. But here's miss Foxy such a beauty been a gorgeous fall this year in Colorado 73 today and sunny
Oh......a lovely pic!

Janelle Green

Colorado
Ha! Funny you should say that, I just fed mine an apple today. Word of warning, though, they are very sugary and should only be fed on rare occasions. i try to keep it once a month. Today, Ginger climbed onto my lap looking for the apple after I had trashed it. She's learning to be very agile. ;) She's so cute!
Ya I stick to once to 2x a month on fruit for Russians my red foot can have lots of fruit few times a week :) she had mangos today

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
She's very smooth, it looks like she was brought up well. I've only paid for one of my tortoises here in OR, my Ruby was $100, the rest have all been dumped on my by people who wouldn't care properly for them in this climate. :mad:

I feed boiled eggs, chicken, and earth worms for protein. My guys also all go bonkers for Mazuri kibble (the original, not the LS) and pretty much any fruit makes them think it's Christmas morning. Spoiled monsters. I like the flexibility in their diet compared other torts who are strict herbivores.
When you say you feed them chicken, how is this chicken prepared and is it cooked or raw?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
When I bake myself chicken I usually just bake an extra breast with no seasonings and use that as little treats all week. I've given them chicken with the bones still and they pick every bit of meat and cartilage off of them.

Janelle Green

Colorado
When I bake myself chicken I usually just bake an extra breast with no seasonings and use that as little treats all week. I've given them chicken with the bones still and they pick every bit of meat and cartilage off of them.
Thanx for the tip!