my redfoot enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
well ive finally decided to take pictures of my redfoot enclosure. ive been on tortoise forum for a while now and i thought it was time to share my tortoises with everyone. also, not seen in my pictures i have a cover that goes on halfway to keep in humidity for my redfoot. i have a 100watt heat emitter thats on for 12 hrs a day and usually maintains a 80 degrees in his enclosure all day and at night its around 70-75 degrees. let me know what everyone thinks, and soon ill be posting my sulcatas enclosure for everyone to see! hope you enjoy!:D
my redfoot.jpg
my redfoot1.jpg
my redfoot2.jpg
my redfoot3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
can everyone see them now?:D

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
60 miles south of Chicago
oooh, what is that mister thing you have???
what is it??
Where can I get one like that????
I'll need one for Stag's tort table.

It almost looks like the hose off of a breathing machine that people use when they have to inhale breathing treatment medication. I used to take care of an elderly man with emphysema, and he used to have to do breathing treatments.

Please do tell if that is a separate mister or a rigged job.
Looks great!
Looks very similar to what I have (though I think mine is a touch wider, maybe?).

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
its a zoo med reptifogger. there amazing and keeping humidity up in his cage. i paid only 15$ for it from a dude on craigslist that had no need for it anymore. they sell for around 40$ if you look on ebay. ive read before that people just mist them with a spray bottle, but this is so much easier and he loves it. it seems to stimulate his eating when i turn it on for him. by the way, i love the name chewbacca. im somewhat of a starwars fan! :D

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
I'll have to research whether or not misters are worth investing in vs. just misting with a water bottle.
I would imagine that the mister/fogger can keep the humidity up AND more even than my human hands can with a water bottle.

Now, do you keep a lid off of your tort's enclosure? Or did you just have the lid off for the pictures?

My husband is trying to get ideas for when he builds Stag's tort table this spring.
I fogger would be WAY more convenient than me having to mist him, plus it would be able to more accurately humidify his enclosure.

Huh. I'll have to look into one and see if it's something I'd be interested in purchasing.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
i keep the lid on at all times for my redfoot. the fogger keeps the humidity in there around 95% all day for him. he loves it when it comes on. id highly reccomend it for anyone that has a redfoot. i also plan on building a tortoise table for my redfoot also.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
How big is your current enclosure?

And how do you have your fogger set.
I think I'm going to order one tomorrow for Stagger.
He'll be teh happiest tortimus with consistent humidity.
And mushrooms.
He gives me that "U cannot enter without teh mushroomz, hooman" look everytime I remove the lid off his enclosure.
hahaha.

oh!!!
And will this work on a 6'L x 2 1/2' wide tort enclosure?
Or would I have to buy a bigger fogger? Do they sell a bigger fogger, do you know?

I'm sorry!
I'm all cluttering up your thread with fogger questions!

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
I don't think they sell a bigger Fogger the one I have will do fine for you. Just make sure you keep the top on to make it humid. My enclosure is just a rubbermaid enclosure. I bought it at walmart for like 10$. It's about 3 ft long and around 2 feet wide. I plan on building a tortoise table for him in the summertime.

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
I love my Sunbeam WARM air humidifier, but his enclosure is a bit bigger, as it has a fairly big footprint as far as grabbing up the space inside. Then a clear shower curtain keeps most of the humidity in, altho some drips along the edges to the floor

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah i was going to go with a humidifier from walmart, but i could pass up the 15$ steal i got for the reptifogger. id defently reccomend it to anyone with a redfoot.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
llamas55 said:
I love my Sunbeam WARM air humidifier, but his enclosure is a bit bigger, as it has a fairly big footprint as far as grabbing up the space inside. Then a clear shower curtain keeps most of the humidity in, altho some drips along the edges to the floor

What model do you use?
And how big is it?

And how do you get the mist directly into your RF's enclosure??

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The concerns with ultrasonics are:
a.) they cool the air, sometimes by a LOT,
b.) they spread whatever is growing in the tank, tubing, and vibration disk, and
c.) because the water droplets hang together for so long, you are breathing them in instead of breathing in actual humidity. There are concerns that this can cause respiratory issues. (Remember- if you can see it, it ain't humidity, its water vapor.)

I am NOT claiming that any of this is a big deal (other than being careful about 'a'), but I personally- and again, this is MY OPINION- don't let my ultrasonic blow into the habitat, and I would not use one in a small habitat or with young torts.

By the way, steam-based humidifiers minimize all three problems. I am planning to get one this paycheck, finally.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
By the way, steam-based humidifiers minimize all three problems. I am planning to get one this paycheck, finally.

But how does one of these work???
I'll have Stag's tort enclosure in my living room, and I am not one of those that is fortunate enough to have a temp and humidity controlled room JUST for my tortoise, so I need something that will...keep humidity consistent.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Chewbecca said:
Madkins007 said:

But how does one of these work???
I'll have Stag's tort enclosure in my living room, and I am not one of those that is fortunate enough to have a temp and humidity controlled room JUST for my tortoise, so I need something that will...keep humidity consistent.

Get yourself a smallish warm vapor humidifier, park it under or beside the habitat, and get some plastic duct tubing at the hardware store (flexible drain tubing, for example) and rig it to carry the steam from the humidifier to blow out near the floor of the tank.

You can attach the duct with just a bunch of chunks of duct tape. Keep the duct short, and you may need to insulate it if the room is cool.

Then, get yourself a simple multiple-event timer and figure out how long you need to run it to do the job- 5 minutes every hour? 10? Part of that will depend on airflow in the habitat.

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
I would love to get the warm air humidifier OUT of my habitat, but the slots are on top (SUnbeam) in 6-8" slots that I don't see how to feed that into tubing- it has a huge footprint on the habitat floor and she has trouble getting around both sides now. I guess since I use a stock tank, for the moment, it wouldn't blow out. I have a supply fund for the next larger habitat that is in the design stage, and will use your idea then.
(also saw your growth projections. mine is over 3 yrs and 6.25" and growing UP like a helmet these days, instead of longer. 1 0z a month gain).

Status
Not open for further replies.