1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

redfoot size requirements

Discussion in 'Redfoot and yellowfoot tortoises' started by singsinker, Jul 15, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. singsinker

singsinker New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Middleburg florida
    Hi everyone,

I currently have a 6 year old redfoot and I am getting another redfoot. My question is: Is there a size requirement before I can introduce my new redfoot into the enclosure. The enclosure is big enough to easily support the 2 but, I do not know if the 6 year old (being bigger) will get along with a new redfoot that is 1 month old or if it will try to harm the new one. Any ideas?
    Cathie G and ZEROPILOT like this.
  2. T Smart

T Smart Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Chicago, IL
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I wouldn’t recommend housing them together. It’s best if they each have their own enclosure.
    TammyJ, Relic, Cathie G and 1 other person like this.
  3. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
    I agree with @T Smart
    Redfoot are some of the most docile tortoises. But even they very often don't do well in pairs....ESPECIALLY if one of the tortoises already sees the whole enclosure as their own turf!
    Your best bet is a trio or more.
    Lots of room and multiple tortoises.
    Pairs are just too risky. Even for Redfoot.
    Redstrike, Relic and Cathie G like this.
  4. Toddrickfl1

Toddrickfl1 Well-Known Member Tortoise Club

Ga
    No way I'd house a 6 year old Redfoot with a hatchling. Way to much that could go wrong. The big one will eventually literally trample over the little one, or possibly flip it over on accident. If your older Redfoot gets aggressive at all it could be big trouble for the little one. The first time I tried putting my 3 year old with my 6 month old the older one went over and almost bit the hatchling in the face.