Mixing yellow and redfoots together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
I was wondering I have a female redfoot tortoise about a year old maybe 5-6inches the most and my friend just got a baby male redfoot tortoise hatchling a couple weeks old. But I was wondering can you mix yellow foot breeds with redfoot breeds? will they get along?

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
There are very few YF's available here in the UK but the general consensus is don't mix species even similar ones like these as different sizes so problems with humping as all torts have different shell shapes, as well as diet and habitat.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yes, you can mix them, but I would not recommend it myself. Question, you said you have a red and your friend got a red too, so does this mean one of you are thinking of getting another tortoise? As to his hatchling being male, what is that based upon?

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Yes, you can mix them, but I would not recommend it myself. Question, you said you have a red and your friend got a red too, so does this mean one of you are thinking of getting another tortoise? As to his hatchling being male, what is that based upon?

Yes I am the one who is interested in getting another redfoot, not anytime soon but maybe in like a month or two! I based the gender off of my knowledge. Because my 1 1/2 year old redfoot has a short short tale. And his hatchling I looked at the tale and its a long tale. That's just based upon my knowledge though.

I know you can't mix different tortoise species together. That's why I asked about yellow and redfoot together. Because I heard that they generally don't mate together unless they really have to and some people said they have yellow and redfoot's together!

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
There are always some people who will mix though. At that age(for both ) there is a very, very slim chance of telling the sex, even if you've had decades of experience, especially just going by the tail.

turtlelover2495

5 Year Member
FLINTUS said:
There are always some people who will mix though. At that age(for both ) there is a very, very slim chance of telling the sex, even if you've had decades of experience, especially just going by the tail.

Oh well i decided that since you can't mix different breeed together. Which i already knew. But seeing some people mix yellowfoots with redfoot but most frown upon it i will not do it. Instead i will most likely get another redfoot or not get any at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.