Having 2 tortoises together

ErinLaForce16

5 Year Member
I have a redfoot right now in a pretty big outdoor enclosure. I’ll have had her for a year in July. I have recently been thinking about maybe getting another redfoot or maybe a yellow foot to put in the same enclosure. It would be plenty big enough. But I was just going to ask what are your thoughts on having 2 housed together? I have a female right now so I would probably get another female so I wouldn’t end up with way to many tortoises from babies. Thanks for your opinions!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you did a search on this forum about this same issue you would find hundreds of threads and post of why tortoises should not be in pairs.
Tortoises do not do good in pairs. Some tortoises are worse then others when it comes to bullying. However unless you have them in a really big, yard size enclosure with lots of sight barriers it's not a good idea.
Incase you have a young tortoise now you have no idea what sex it is either to know what sex to get.
Either way it's a bad idea

ErinLaForce16

5 Year Member
If you did a search on this forum about this same issue you would find hundreds of threads and post of why tortoises should not be in pairs.
Tortoises do not do good in pairs. Some tortoises are worse then others when it comes to bullying. However unless you have them in a really big, yard size enclosure with lots of sight barriers it's not a good idea.
Incase you have a young tortoise now you have no idea what sex it is either to know what sex to get.
Either way it's a bad idea

I have seen so many different opinions about it. That’s why I decided to make a new post to get fresh ideas.

Ayotl

Orange County
I have two hatchlings at the moment about a month apart the older one bothered the younger one aggressively even though the older one is smaller size lol hope this helps this is also just my experience but I wouldn’t recommend it

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I have two baby Russians, from the same clutch, and they even hatched the same day. At two months of age they both were displaying bullying behavior toward each other. One was also growing much faster than the other. I separated them. They are now almost seven months old and both thriving beautifully in their own enclosures.

Tortoises are not a social species. They don't need a companion. In the wild they mate and move on their solitary journey. Very territorial and don't like other tortoises invading their space.

My two cents from personal experience.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Please don’t house them together, I made the same mistake in the beginning it causes too much unnecessary stress on the animals.

Relic

Here
Yellow-foots seem to be a bit shyer than red-foots and would probably be more easily intimidated.

ErinLaForce16

5 Year Member
I have two baby Russians, from the same clutch, and they even hatched the same day. At two months of age they both were displaying bullying behavior toward each other. One was also growing much faster than the other. I separated them. They are now almost seven months old and both thriving beautifully in their own enclosures.

Tortoises are not a social species. They don't need a companion. In the wild they mate and move on their solitary journey. Very territorial and don't like other tortoises invading their space.

I have a Russian also! Of course he is not in the same pen as my redfoot. But by my russian’s personality, I could see why they don’t do good in pairs or groups. I have just heard of people housing 2 or more redfoots together so I figured I would ask people’s opinions on it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a Russian also! Of course he is not in the same pen as my redfoot. But by my russian’s personality, I could see why they don’t do good in pairs or groups. I have just heard of people housing 2 or more redfoots together so I figured I would ask people’s opinions on it.
RF are one species that if it were going to work, it would be probably with RF. However that's only really possible with a very large enclosure and sight barriers. I also feel for the well experienced as they know more what foo look for then those that aren't.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree that Redfoot might be able to be housed in twos. With a very large enclosure. And if they are both juveniles or are both females.
This should never be attempted with other types of tortoise and even with Redfoot it's not a good idea.
I've had two females live harmoniously together in a space of about 300 square feet.
But I've also had individuals that would not cooperate. And spent every waking moment aggressively pursuing the other.
I've even had individuals in groups of more than 7 that had to be removed.
So I dont want you to think that I'm being contradicting. It CAN BE DONE with Redfoot. But it doesn't always work. And if it doesn't, what will you do?
I have a full back yard and at one time, it was full of pens because I had Redfoot that would not get along together.
It took me literally years to assemble group of 8 that could live together.
Redfoot do not get lonely. They're happiest alone. But sometimes they can get along with others of their own species. Sometimes not.
Don't even try it if you don't have a huge area for them.
Jamming two into a glorified, repurposed fish tank or tortoise "table" shouldn't be considered.
And in most situations two of any species including Redfoot shouldn't be attempted.
Neither should mixing Redfoot with Yellowfoot.
If you do have the space.....and you do try to ad another Redfoot. First quarantine the new animal for at least 6 months. Then watch them carefully when you place them together.
Look for following each other, or other signs of aggression.
Hopefully you'll just see two tortoises that ignore one another.....
With any other species the answer is NO.
With Redfoot...My answer is IT'S NOT RECCOMENDED.
You'll most often just see me saying no to even Redfoot pairs. But I thought I should elaborate.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Groups are not the same thing as pairs. Groups of juveniles can usually get along with most species. Pairs do not get along. Re-read the post from Grandpa Turtle. There doesn't have to be outward obvious hostility.

If you want another one, set up a separate enclosure for it. Or get two or three more and hope you guess the sexes correctly.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Groups are not the same thing as pairs. Groups of juveniles can usually get along with most species. Pairs do not get along. Re-read the post from Grandpa Turtle. There doesn't have to be outward obvious hostility.

If you want another one, set up a separate enclosure for it. Or get two or three more and hope you guess the sexes correctly.
What Tom says is also critical.
It's very hard to determine the sex of juvenile Redfoot.
A docile one can become a hostile one almost overnight when puberty kicks in.
Then once again, you'll have to separate them.
There are just too many reasons why it's not a great idea.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

Russians can never be kept as pairs.
Not ever.