Need advice about keeping two together

Location (City and/or State)
East Hartford
I have a female redfoot who is about 6 inches, (I'm guessing it's a female due to the shape of the plastron) I wanna get another well started redfoot hatchling and as you know it's hard to tell the sex of the species that young. That being said I know you can't house a Male and a female together, but how about a yearling which I already have and a well started hatchling? Will they fight? Is a 75 gallon tank big enough for them at their age? Will the bigger tortoise kill the smaller one? If they do end up being the opposite sex I plan on getting another female as well as more space as they age

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a female redfoot who is about 6 inches, (I'm guessing it's a female due to the shape of the plastron) I wanna get another well started redfoot hatchling and as you know it's hard to tell the sex of the species that young. That being said I know you can't house a Male and a female together, but how about a yearling which I already have and a well started hatchling? Will they fight? Is a 75 gallon tank big enough for them at their age? Will the bigger tortoise kill the smaller one? If they do end up being the opposite sex I plan on getting another female as well as more space as they age
Tortoises should never be kept as pairs. Sexes don't matter.

A single six inch tortoises is WAY too big for a 75 gallon tank. Something that size needs at least 4x8 feet indoors.

Hatchlings should not be housed with older larger tortoises. It is very likely that the smaller one will be harmed.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I also think you need much more space. If I were to get a second one, I would try for one of comparable size. That gives fewer reasons for aggression/bullying to happen. Redfoots also tend to get along better, then say Russians or sulcatas. That said, ANY time more then one tortoise is housed with another, always be prepared to separate them immediately.

East Hartford
Tortoises should never be kept as pairs. Sexes don't matter.

A single six inch tortoises is WAY too big for a 75 gallon tank. Something that size needs at least 4x8 feet indoors.

Hatchlings should not be housed with older larger tortoises. It is very likely that the smaller one will be harmed.
Is there any 4x8 enclosures you can recommend me that I can buy online or somewhere

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is there any 4x8 enclosures you can recommend me that I can buy online or somewhere
The best ones come from @Markw84 . They are perfectly designed and made, reasonably priced, and you get them pretty quickly. I get some of mine from Animal Plastics but its a long wait. 6-8 months usually. Thee are other makers now, but I don't have personal experience with them.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi
You'll need 2 enclosures to make sure your torts are stress free and safe.
Bullying can happen even with redfoots especially in an enclosed space where they can't avoid each other.
@ZEROPILOT could tell you more about that and suggest enclosures.
Until you can get somethin better you could use a large second hand bookcase, laid flat with the shelves removed and lined with a shower curtain as a base to start with and maybe covered with a portable greenhouse for humidity, or there are some great upvc raised garden kits (Lifetime) you could use. This is how Elohi set a kit up for a leopard.
1621510339534.png

East Hartford
Hi
You'll need 2 enclosures to make sure your torts are stress free and safe.
Bullying can happen even with redfoots especially in an enclosed space where they can't avoid each other.
@ZEROPILOT could tell you more about that and suggest enclosures.
Until you can get somethin better you could use a large second hand bookcase, laid flat with the shelves removed and lined with a shower curtain as a base to start with and maybe covered with a portable greenhouse for humidity, or there are some great upvc raised garden kits (Lifetime) you could use. This is how Elohi set a kit up for a leopard.
View attachment 325482
Looks awesome, thanks for the advice

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That enclosure greenhouse is 4x4. Great for newly hatched hatchlings which Elohi hatched her own. There are others out there similar but of a more proper size for your older one. If you got a big enough one, you could add a divider down the middle and use one greenhouse for both torts.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This one kit with 2, 4 x 4 beds which have been stacked to get the depth. To get the same depth but make it 4 x 8 you would need 2 kits or as wellington said there may be similar products available which will give you the larger area.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Speaking ONLY for Redfoot, non sexually mature individuals sometimes do tolerate each other for a while if given enough space. More space than even a giant aquarium can provide.
However, because it also DOESN'T work out most of the time, I'm also on the no two tortoises housed together, male or female bandwagon.
It would be irresponsible for me or anyone to suggest trying to do so simply because I've seen it work once or twice.
Redfoot are generally non aggressive. But they can be as individual as human people.
An adult Redfoot needs an enclosure of 10'x10' at a minimum in my opinion. Much larger is even better.
Keep this in mind if you are even considering getting two.
Since I live in a tropical area, I'm able to keep my group outdoors.
To be honest with you, my experience with keeping Redfoot indoors is quite limited and consists of only tiny hatchlings and a few very ill individuals.
My expertise is definitely not in building or in using indoor enclosures. And I applaud all of you that are successful in duplicating a tropical environment inside your home.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Speaking ONLY for Redfoot, non sexually mature individuals sometimes do tolerate each other for a while if given enough space. More space than even a giant aquarium can provide.
However, because it also DOESN'T work out most of the time, I'm also on the no two tortoises housed together, male or female bandwagon.
It would be irresponsible for me or anyone to suggest trying to do so simply because I've seen it work once or twice.
Redfoot are generally non aggressive. But they can be as individual as human people.
An adult Redfoot needs an enclosure of 10'x10' at a minimum in my opinion. Much larger is even better.
Keep this in mind if you are even considering getting two.
Since I live in a tropical area, I'm able to keep my group outdoors.
To be honest with you, my experience with keeping Redfoot indoors is quite limited and consists of only tiny hatchlings and a few very ill individuals.
My expertise is definitely not in building or in using indoor enclosures. And I applaud all of you that are successful in duplicating a tropical environment inside your home.
I think you answer this question several times a month. Still you are always clear and nice (Tom as well). You guys rock.

East Hartford
The best ones come from @Markw84 . They are perfectly designed and made, reasonably priced, and you get them pretty quickly. I get some of mine from Animal Plastics but its a long wait. 6-8 months usually. Thee are other makers now, but I don't have personal experience with them.
I went to the website, which one is best for a tortoise

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tom has far more patience
He didnt use too. Now its me with zero patients. All kinds of threads to answer most questions yet still asked waiting for someone to tell them they are doing great and everything right. That's really not me and I don't wait for them to come back and ask if I see something wrong.
They can take it or leave it. My only concern is the animal's.