My Redfoots Enclosure Help!

RedFootedLove

Location (City and/or State)
NW Ohio
I would love it if anyone here could tell me the minimum humidity level for redfoots and if that minimum would prevent pyramiding im investing in a fogger soon to pull up humidity but right now her enclosure stays around 60-65% humidity is that bad thanks in advance

Octavious22

5 Year Member
California
I have kept my torts in an open enclosure for almost 18 months and have no pyramiding whatsoever. The humidity is between 70 and 80 percent all the time. Most of the humidity tortoises need is at tortoise level. I don't understand why everyone is obsessed with closed chambers. Hydration is the main cause of pyramiding. Both overall body hydration and hydration of the keratin layer of the shell. Soak everyday or every other day provide clean water everyday, take them outside to get natural sun light as much as you can, and research diet watch fruits and vegetables you don't want to give them too much of that. I'm just sharing whats worked for me. All my torts are from the same breeder and she has given me some valuable info and I'm just sharing what's worked for me, and I hope it helps you too :);)

RedFootedLove

NW Ohio
I would bump it up too 80%, but be sure to keep the top layer of substrate dry, as RF are prone to shell rot.
Could you upload a picture to this thread showing how moist or dry your substrate is if so that would be great because now im worried about shell rot because i keep my substrate moist and lightly misted but sometimes i might overly mist it

RedFootedLove

NW Ohio
I have kept my torts in an open enclosure for almost 18 months and have no pyramiding whatsoever. The humidity is between 70 and 80 percent all the time. Most of the humidity tortoises need is at tortoise level. I don't understand why everyone is obsessed with closed chambers. Hydration is the main cause of pyramiding. Both overall body hydration and hydration of the keratin layer of the shell. Soak everyday or every other day provide clean water everyday, take them outside to get natural sun light as much as you can, and research diet watch fruits and vegetables you don't want to give them too much of that. I'm just sharing whats worked for me. All my torts are from the same breeder and she has given me some valuable info and I'm just sharing what's worked for me, and I hope it helps you too :);)
ok i havent brought her outside a whole ton since i have had her but right now it is kinda gloomy so hopefully its better tomorrow and i will definitly follow up on that advice thank you

RedFootedLove

NW Ohio
o
I would say the bottom 4 inches of my substrate is damp and the top 2" is moist. It's damp to the touch of you grab a handful and squeeze it, but dry enough to maintain fluffiness.View attachment 145942 LOL nobody can see her by the way. She's a ninja. :p
ok thank you this site has been so helpful and has never let my down thanks to everyone who has helped me with this brand new experience and making it the best it could be

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would say the bottom 4 inches of my substrate is damp and the top 2" is moist. It's damp to the touch of you grab a handful and squeeze it, but dry enough to maintain fluffiness.View attachment 145942 LOL nobody can see her by the way. She's a ninja. :p
That is too darn cute. In a whisper, to not upset her, I see her:D

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hey up mate. Can I see some photos of your enclosure please.

RedFootedLove

NW Ohio
someone asked for my enclosure this is the inside of it it is a full enclosed 6x4 foot enclosure

Attachments

• left side.JPG
    left side.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • right side.JPG
    right side.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • left side.JPG
    left side.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • right side.JPG
    right side.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 40

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
someone asked for my enclosure this is the inside of it it is a full enclosed 6x4 foot enclosure
That red bulb needs to go. They can hurt their eyes and cause confusion leading to them eating their substrate thinking its food.
I'm assuming it's there for heat? Instead replace it with a ceramic heat emitter. They produce no light only heat.
Do you have a UVA bulb? Basking bulb? UVB strip bulb?

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
She's right. The pet store suggests those red bulbs all the time and they may disrupt sleep patterns. You can order a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) on Amazon or eBay. :)

Here was something I read a while back about lighting...http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/lighting.html

Last edited: