My tortoise enclosure pics humidity help?!

RedFootedLove

Location (City and/or State)
NW Ohio
I just need help raising my enclosure humidity im getting a fogger and I already have a spayer to mist every so often I pour warm water in the corners and im currently growing grasses for a food source humidity helper and hiding place my temps stay around 80-85 is usually the whole entire cages temps I have a uvb strip and I tried to get a pic of my light setup but it wasn't very good my humidity is usually only 50-55%

Attachments

• 1 pic.jpg
    1 pic.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 2 pic.jpg
    2 pic.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 3 pic.jpg
    3 pic.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 4 pic.jpg
    4 pic.jpg
    652.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 5 pic.jpg
    5 pic.jpg
    614 KB · Views: 32
  • 6 pic.jpg
    6 pic.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 7 pic.jpg
    7 pic.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 29

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Couple things first. Your fluorescent light, if that is a UVB bulb, it looks to high to do any good but light up the enclosure. However, I am looking at a pic, so measure the distance from light to top of tort. Second, if the enclosure is totally closed, what are you using to read the temps and humidity?

RedFootedLove

NW Ohio
Couple things first. Your fluorescent light, if that is a UVB bulb, it looks to high to do any good but light up the enclosure. However, I am looking at a pic, so measure the distance from light to top of tort. Second, if the enclosure is totally closed, what are you using to read the temps and humidity?
I will measure it in a second and it is closed by a tent but it has few really small air flow strips and I feed the probe up through those

RedFootedLove

NW Ohio
also it is about 41 inches from light to substrate

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How are you trying to get humidity in there? If you pour warm water into the corners, getting the bottom layers moist, while keeping the top layer dry and using a good gauge to read it, not those round puck type things the pet stores sell, I can't see your humidity not staying higher.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
also it is about 41 inches from light to substrate
That's too far away to give any useful uv. Look up the type you have and get the instructions for it. The manufacturer usually puts the distance on the packaging or in instructions.

RedFootedLove

NW Ohio
How are you trying to get humidity in there? If you pour warm water into the corners, getting the bottom layers moist, while keeping the top layer dry and using a good gauge to read it, not those round puck type things the pet stores sell, I can't see your humidity not staying higher.
right now im lightly misting it and sometimes I put a water bowl under the light to create humidity but hopefully when the grass grows and the fogger is finished I can keep the humidity up and keep it up but I don't know what to do to create more humidity

RedFootedLove

NW Ohio
That's too far away to give any useful uv. Look up the type you have and get the instructions for it. The manufacturer usually puts the distance on the packaging or in instructions.
ok it shouldn't be hard for me to lower it and shes only been in that cage for like a week now

RedFootedLove

NW Ohio
Do the pouring of warm water into the corners. Wetting the underneath
I do that it helps but not very much my substrate is cypress mulch and peat moss do I need a certain substrate for that to work I see a lot of people using potting soil I have some if that will help but ill have to make sure its organic

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Coconut coir is the best for holding humidity. Maybe work some of it in with what you have. Be sure though, you are using a reliable gauge to read the temp and humidity levels.