My Redfoots Enclosure Help!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
someone asked for my enclosure this is the inside of it it is a full enclosed 6x4 foot enclosure
What is your humidity at. Is it an open or closed enclosure. If its open I would suggest more plants to create humitiy at low ground level. Acting like a canopy of miniature trees. Make sure your substrate is moiste too, not soaking wet through, just moiste. I have a uvb strip light and a CHE on a thermostat at one end of my enclosure. This gives heat and light gradient together. No basking spot. Just ambient temps.

RedFootedLove

NW Ohio
What is your humidity at. Is it an open or closed enclosure. If its open I would suggest more plants to create humitiy at low ground level. Acting like a canopy of miniature trees. Make sure your substrate is moiste too, not soaking wet through, just moiste. I have a uvb strip light and a CHE on a thermostat at one end of my enclosure. This gives heat and light gradient together. No basking spot. Just ambient temps.
we are growing some grasses for her and it is almost always moist it is an enclosed chamber and im going to put som pics on this reply.. everbodys suggestions have helped me raise the humidity in her travel cage thanks i still have to raise the humidity in her at home enclosure the temps arent actually low the sensor is kinda messed up

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
we are growing some grasses for her and it is almost always moist it is an enclosed chamber and im going to put som pics on this reply.. everbodys suggestions have helped me raise the humidity in her travel cage thanks i still have to raise the humidity in her at home enclosure the temps arent actually low the sensor is kinda messed up
Can you show us a photo of the entire enclosure please ?

Octavious22

5 Year Member
California
This is what the enclosure looks like it's an extra large cement mixing tub. Planning a larger enclosure because my torts are more active now. This is where I bring them in at night time, most of the day they are in their outdoor pen.

Attachments

• basking.jpg
    basking.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 21

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This is what the enclosure looks like it's an extra large cement mixing tub. Planning a larger enclosure because my torts are more active now. This is where I bring them in at night time, most of the day they are in their outdoor pen.
Looks nice. So what is your annual climate like in California?

RedFootedLove

NW Ohio
ha i thought that was a sulcata with the RF haha that is such an interesting colored RF how do they get along

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
the inside or outside im sorry for making you be so specific i cant take pics of my permanent enclosure right now but i might be able to find one but if i cant i can get you one at around 7pm EST time
All I wanted to see was a view of your entire enclosure, so we can see everything, light,heat substrate,hides, water dish, food plate. So we can help you.
Make sure you are checking your temp and humidity at Tortoise level, and not 4" up the walls. Also what are you using to check temps and humidity?

RedFootedLove

NW Ohio
All I wanted to see was a view of your entire enclosure, so we can see everything, light,heat substrate,hides, water dish, food plate. So we can help you.
Make sure you are checking your temp and humidity at Tortoise level, and not 4" up the walls. Also what are you using to check temps and humidity?
ok i will try my best to find pics of the whole entire enclosure and ill stitch them together and to check my temps im using a really unreliable old thermometer but it works for now im going to invest in a temp gun soon

Octavious22

5 Year Member
California
someone asked for my enclosure this is the inside of it it is a full enclosed 6x4 foot enclosure

I live in California's Central Valley. Summer temps in the valley regularly climb over 100 degrees. Winter temps rarely fall below 60 during the day. It's been pretty warm here, temps are around 85 degrees at around 9:00 pm. We are in drought so no rain, warm winters and hot summers.

Last edited:

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I put a plastic tote filled with rocks, covered in sphagnum loose moss, then buried under the soil and cypress layers. I can pour water directly into the tub (through the soil) and it keeps humidity high without dampening the surface and risking shell rot.