My Russian is acting weird!

Tortnewb

Location (City and/or State)
Palm Beach
Everything was fine. He was having one of his best days ever. Active, eating, coming to the door when we opened it. Then we took him outside, my neighbors dog started barking from the other side of the fence and ever since then my Turdy has not been acting the same!!!! We took him inside and he literally ran, dug a hole and hid. Now he hasn’t been eating as much and spends more time sleeping and hiding. I’ve also been changing out his lighting and trying to get that right over the past couple of days. Help! Can my Turdy be traumatized from hearing my neighbors Pug bark and it’s taking days for him to not worry? We took him outside today and he seemed happy walking around so I don’t think he’s scared of the outside world since the Pug scare. He’s eaten a little more then yesterday. I soaked him yesterday snd he pooped and seemed ok. Today his poop was a little watery is that normal?

Last edited:

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Everything was fine. He was having one of his best days ever. Active, eating, coming to the door when we opened it. Then we took him outside, my neighbors dog started barking from the other side of the fence and ever since then my Turdy has not been acting the same!!!! We took him inside and he literally ran, dug a hole and hid. Now he hasn’t been eating as much and spends more time sleeping and hiding. I’ve also been changing out his lighting and trying to get that right over the past couple of days. Help! Can my Turdy be traumatized from hearing my neighbors Pug bark and it’s taking days for him to not worry? We took him outside today and he seemed happy walking around so I don’t think he’s scared of the outside world since the Pug scare. He’s eaten a little more then yesterday. I soaked him yesterday snd he pooped and seemed ok. Today his poop was a little watery is that normal?
Welcome to the forum. I'm having trouble understanding your issue (s). So it would be helpful to know more. What kind of tort, how long you've had it & how old it is? Is it in an indoor or outdoor enclosure? Photos of both your tort & enclosure (s) would be helpful. What are you feeding him? In order to help with lighting, what are you using? Is your enclosure open or closed? A lot to ask, I know, but we need more info to help.

Tortnewb

Palm Beach
He’s a Russian tortoise. I don’t know how old he is. He’s an indoor tortoise. I dont need help with the lights bc I received a lot is answers about that on another post. I guess what I’m wondering is can a Russian tortoise get so scared from a dog barking near by that he acts strange for days after?
Ever since that experience he’s been acting very strange: sleeping a lot, not eating as much and not coming to the door when we open it.