My russian tortoise hates his life!!! HELP

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
My Petco has a care sheet, it's not the best but I have seen worse. I think it took my tortoise at least a week to not hide all the time and to start eating different things.

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
I've memorized petco and petsmart's care sheets... I've read just about everything online as well! That's why I decided to post. I just wanted reassurance.

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
We're going between crush and sqruitle! Both of which are technically turtles and no as originally as many I've heard on here, but I love them! I've heard Russian tortoises can sometimes learn their names. So a shorter name like crush might be better! I've tried not to handle him too much on the account of he hates me at the moment... But I'll try to upload what I have :)

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
image.jpg This was day one, so the tank has been updated with that tank wrap around so he can't see out and the logs & stuff are out. That's the kale he refuses to eat unless it's in really small pieces mixed with Romaine lettuce so he doesn't notice... Sneaky sneaky.

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
Not to stress him anymore, but soon-maybe give him a 10 minute soak. As stated earlier here, they're all different but need TIME; be patient and don't get too freaked if they are doing well and then all of a sudden they get timid for a while, turning on a dime. It just gets better. It can take months. Be patient-they're worth it!

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
there is a lot of out dated info on petcos care sheet:(. did it say to feed them fruit on the care sheet?
Yes it did. But I know better. I do the opposite of everything they told me pretty much!! When I went to the store to buy him I had everything bought & set up at home. I bought it all from places other than a pet store.

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
Not to stress him anymore, but soon-maybe give him a 10 minute soak. As stated earlier here, they're all different but need TIME; be patient and don't get too freaked if they are doing well and then all of a sudden they get timid for a while, turning on a dime. It just gets better. It can take months. Be patient-they're worth it!
I try to give him one good soak a day. I did it twice today bc this morning he wouldn't drink and I know he's dehydrated from being at the pet store but he keeps trying to get out of the bowl now instead of drinking!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum.

Take it easy and try not to panic, though I know words are easy. Please be patient: one thing I have learnt is that torts take time to adapt to a new environment, therefore a tort owner has to be an extremely patient person. Meanwhile, good luck.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
He looks good in the pic. This is going to seem opposite "good tort practices" thinking. If he was in a tank in the pet store, maybe he is used to being able to see out. Could the wrap on your tank be freaking him out since he can no longer see out ?

I know that runs opposite to good tort husbandry theory, but
wondering if you had tried that ?

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
welcome. my tortoise hates me too he will charge and try to bite. but he's happy :D if you follow the care sheets you will most likely see a huge change, i did sparkys a different tort now he's much happier and way more active.

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
He looks good in the pic. This is going to seem opposite "good tort practices" thinking. If he was in a tank in the pet store, maybe he is used to being able to see out. Could the wrap on your tank be freaking him out since he can no longer see out ?

I know that runs opposite to good tort husbandry theory, but
wondering if you had tried that ?
It didnt have it on before and that's when he started freaking so I put it on... But good thought!

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
UPDATE: I woke up this morning and he was walking around (not digging or even in a corner) so I soaked him, no drinking or pooping. But as soon as I took him out he started eating the food I just put in. This is the first time I actually witnessed him eat!

Male RT

Florida, Pan Handle
welcome. my tortoise hates me too he will charge and try to bite. but he's happy :D if you follow the care sheets you will most likely see a huge change, i did sparkys a different tort now he's much happier and way more active.
Oh my, I hope that doesn't happen. What's it like when they bite??