My Russian Tortoises ❤️

Janelle Green

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
image.jpeg I can not get pictures to post to the album on here so I will post my pictures of my babies on here . I have an adult male Russian tort named Franklin And am soon adding 2 baby Russian torts to our family . My name is Janelle by the way and we live in Colorado , I have 2 sons and lots of animals ❤️ Follow our life on Instagram - Nellelynn7

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Yes, tomato plants are definitely toxic. The leaves and the stems. Chances are your tortoise won't eat it but I would not let him near it anyway.
Squash plants are not toxic and they tend to like the leaves and the flowers. That's the only reason I grew squash a couple years ago was to feed the flowers to the tortoises :)

Janelle Green

Colorado
My sweet babies that will be 1 December 5th. Zoey is the top and Cleo the bottom -Russian Tortoises ❤️image.jpeg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That is a nice size bin for one tortoise. Get another one and that way you can separate the two. Tortoises and especially Russians do not do well in Paris, you'll end up with one tortoise that is sick and possibly dead. Three tortoises and three enclosures and everybody will be happy and healthy.
You may possibly be able to keep all three tortoises in an outdoor pen, if it is very large and has lots of hides in sight.. barriers . But that might be a couple years away.
They are very cute. Add some light to the other end of the bin and the tortoises will be much more likely to go over there. Just a regular old household lightbulb will work. Don't have to worry about the heat or UVB for that one.

Janelle Green

Colorado
Ok I was wondering what to do with that side because I wanted it to be the cool side , they sleep over there at night. I have a sight barrier in middle that divides the enclosure so they both have their own side. She had all 5 together I guess. I hear babies can be together for first few years and ya they'll all eventually be in one massive enclosure but their to small now to be out with Franklin .

Janelle Green

Colorado
That is a nice size bin for one tortoise. Get another one and that way you can separate the two. Tortoises and especially Russians do not do well in Paris, you'll end up with one tortoise that is sick and possibly dead. Three tortoises and three enclosures and everybody will be happy and healthy.
You may possibly be able to keep all three tortoises in an outdoor pen, if it is very large and has lots of hides in sight.. barriers . But that might be a couple years away.
They are very cute. Add some light to the other end of the bin and the tortoises will be much more likely to go over there. Just a regular old household lightbulb will work. Don't have to worry about the heat or UVB for that one.
So I have one outdoor enclosure right now and I know they need to be quarantined from my other tortoise so do I need to build them their own outdoor enclosure or can they use that one while he's not in it?

Janelle Green

Colorado
What does your indoor look like? Could I see some pictures to get ideas for mine ?im
Building Franklin a bigger one next week and j want to do a bridge leading to a big hideout on my hatchling enclosure.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
So I have one outdoor enclosure right now and I know they need to be quarantined from my other tortoise so do I need to build them their own outdoor enclosure or can they use that one while he's not in it?
I heard it's going to be 80° there on Friday! That's just crazy. On that day it's definitely warm enough to keep your tortoise outside. Quarantine means that they can't be together, even sharing an enclosure when the other one isn't in there is technically together because there's germs etc. left over from the other tortoise. But basically your spring is over and your tortoises are going to be spending the next few months inside. If those tortoises are a year old I would say it's getting near time to separate them. It doesn't matter that their siblings, if they are, they will still fight and one will dominate.
Do you have a temperature gun? That will allow you to know what the temperature is anywhere you point. This is handy in a lot of ways. For an outdoor enclosure you can pointed at the ground and you will sometimes see you that the temperature is surprisingly higher on the ground than the air temperature. I have been able to put my tortoise outside on a sunny day in the 60s. The sun is the important part. I look forward to seeing your new outdoor enclosure next spring.