My Russian won't eat.

Maddie

Hi. I'm really worried about my Russian. she isn't eating and isn't being very active. I have a heating lamp and a UVB lamp in her tank. It's usually about 85-90 in her basking area and in the 70s away from the basking area. She stays buried in her rock (I call it her cave). I soak her for 15 minutes every week. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong and why she isn't eating or being active? ( I give her a mix of Spinach, Kal Sping mix and other greens)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you post a pic of her enclosure. Also would be wise to get exact temps. If the basking is "usually about" 85-90 but really is colder then this could be a problem.
Also read the care sheet under the Russian section and see if you have everything set up right with your own enclosure.
It would also help to know where in the world you live.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

I'd like to add something to what Wellington said: torts take time, and a lot of time to adapt to a: new place, new climate, new environment, new owner;) virtually new everything, if so I may put it. In this case their owners are to be very PATIENT. :)

Please keep us updated, and good luck! :D

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Maddie and welcome.
What sort of bulbs are you using?
Any coiled or long thin looped cfl types can hurt your torts eyes
So if you are using anything like those that may be part of the problem.
Maybe soak more often to keep him hydrated - especially if he isn't eating.
How old is he?

Maddie

Can you post a pic of her enclosure. Also would be wise to get exact temps. If the basking is "usually about" 85-90 but really is colder then this could be a problem.
Also read the care sheet under the Russian section and see if you have everything set up right with your own enclosure.
I live in Michigan America

Maddie

Hi Maddie and welcome.
What sort of bulbs are you using?
Any coiled or long thin looped cfl types can hurt your torts eyes
So if you are using anything like those that may be part of the problem.
Maybe soak more often to keep him hydrated - especially if he isn't eating.
How old is he?
thx. She is about 4 at least that's what the person I got her from said

Maddie

Thank you. The temp right now is 88 in her basking area

Maddie

A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

I'd like to add something to what Wellington said: torts take time, and a lot of time to adapt to a: new place, new climate, new environment, new owner;) virtually new everything, if so I may put it. In this case their owners are to be very PATIENT. :)

Please keep us updated, and good luck! :D
thank you! I will!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
At the bottom of the box you type your post in is a button that says upload file click on that
Also I would get the basking up to 100

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Couple things I would change. The enclosure is too small for an adult Russian. Replace the red light, which can make them eat things they aren't suppose to, they are attracted to red and white and switch it out for a regular incondenscent 60-100 watt bulb, one large enough to offer the basking temp needed and the UVB fluorescent looks to be over the hide too much and getting blocked and the screen should be removed as it blocks a lot of the UVB.
An adult Russian should have the minimum of a 3 or better 4 X 8 enclosure. Even though they are small, in the wild they cover a lot of territory. Take a look in our enclosure section for some reasonable priced ways to build a fairly cheap enclosure.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I think your basking area should be 95-100. You probably are going to want to plan a much larger enclosure for her.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
any change in your tortoises behavior?

Maddie

Couple things I would change. The enclosure is too small for an adult Russian. Replace the red light, which can make them eat things they aren't suppose to, they are attracted to red and white and switch it out for a regular incondenscent 60-100 watt bulb, one large enough to offer the basking temp needed and the UVB fluorescent looks to be over the hide too much and getting blocked and the screen should be removed as it blocks a lot of the UVB.
An adult Russian should have the minimum of a 3 or better 4 X 8 enclosure. Even though they are small, in the wild they cover a lot of territory. Take a look in our enclosure section for some reasonable priced ways to build a fairly cheap enclosure.
thank you! Im still working on making her a bigger out door enclosure.

Maddie

any change in your tortoises behavior?
yes. she stays in her rock all day and only comes out when I take her out for soaking. when I soak her she doesn't poop and just sits still

Maddie

thank you! Im still working on making her a bigger out door enclosure.
Thank you for all this new info. It's pretty hard to know what I've been doing wrong. I will get new lights and get working on a bigger tank. I didn't know the red light would do that. On one of the care sheets I read it said they can't even see red light! but Thanks again and I have one last question. if i were to soak her more, how many times a week should I?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You might try soaking her in a large container, one she can move around in a lot. The movement will help get things (poop) moving through. I would do this 3-4 times a week until you see things getting better.
Where are you located in the world? Lots of Russians specially those living in the colder areas, slow down in the colder times. Mine has started this, but earlier then now. He usually doesn't eat or roam as much. However, he usually will get a little back to normal after about a month or so.
Also, don't worry about what you might have done wrong. We all have been there. Your wrongs aren't really wrong as much as they can just be better. Besides, your here and willing to do what is better for your tort, that's a good owner.

Maddie

You might try soaking her in a large container, one she can move around in a lot. The movement will help get things (poop) moving through. I would do this 3-4 times a week until you see things getting better.
Where are you located in the world? Lots of Russians specially those living in the colder areas, slow down in the colder times. Mine has started this, but earlier then now. He usually doesn't eat or roam as much. However, he usually will get a little back to normal after about a month or so.
Also, don't worry about what you might have done wrong. We all have been there. Your wrongs aren't really wrong as much as they can just be better. Besides, your here and willing to do what is better for your tort, that's a good owner.
thank you so much! I live in America(Michigan)