My Spotted Turtle

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Thats super cool. Hows the filtration? Do you have to change a prefilter pretty often? It seems like you've got a great naturalistic environment there.

Freddy90

Location (City and/or State)
Austria
Thats super cool. Hows the filtration? Do you have to change a prefilter pretty often? It seems like you've got a great naturalistic environment there.
Thank u!
I dont use filtration currently besides the natural bacteria. If he gets bigger I will ad a filter. I do a 100% water change ones a week. I would probably get away with 2 week water changes cause there are a lot of surface plants and underwater plants.
This setup was done a few months prior to getting the turtle which is important so the beneficial bacteria has time to grow.
:)

Freddy90

Austria
Recently had a bit of cold weather with nights in the 7°c range. But today the sun is back out with 19°c in the shade and 27-31°c in the sun.
20200928_131357.jpg

He had no problems with the cold nights and his appetite is enormous only took him 1 minutes to eat these 3 mealworms :) Screenshot_20200928-133106_Gallery.jpg

Freddy90

Austria
Getting cold and nature helped me to naturally lower the temps. I put Petrie in the fridge for safe hibernation at 4°C.
Hes doing good so far. I will check his weight every two weeks. Opening the fridge every 4 days for a short time just to make sure everything looks ok and a little air gets exchanged.
He will be in hibernation till March.

28.10.2020: 17 grams

Freddy90

Austria
17 gms! He seems so tiny to hibernate! I'd be petrified!
I was to at the beginning of my research but they also do it in nature without any help and im providing stable temperatures so there's no possible danger of freezing and no danger of predators. These two things seem to be the highest problem for turtles during hibernation.

I'm 100% sure that he will be alright. :)

I only hibernate him because I know that his parents are from canada. Now if I wouldn't know the locality they are from I wouldn't risk it.

Freddy90

Austria
Little text update not much to say and see. He has not lost weight so far. Hes inactive but responds to the touch of his feet.

12 januar: 17 grams

I post the Next update in March when he is finished with his winter sleep and again in his outside tub. :)

Richardonesia

JAKARTA UTARA
Little text update not much to say and see. He has not lost weight so far. Hes inactive but responds to the touch of his feet.

12 januar: 17 grams

I post the Next update in March when he is finished with his winter sleep and again in his outside tub. :)
Wow, I really liked your post. I'm curious of how is Petrie doing, pls tag me on your next update !

Freddy90

Austria
Careful about doing a 100% water change
you don't want to kill too much bacteria
Yes thank u. I have read about this recently and will change next season to only 20% water changes per 2 weeks and occasionally topping of the water that evaporated. :)

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
Yes thank u. I have read about this recently and will change next season to only 20% water changes per 2 weeks and occasionally topping of the water that evaporated. :)
I would say 50% once a week or every other week since torts poo a lot. Or you could do the 20% and "vaccum" the bottom to clean up waste

TortoiseSupply.com