Care of My Spotted Turtles

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
When you "Click to view full size" you'll see what I mean. Once you "Click to view full size" click the pic again and you'll see it at 1200 x 900.. then resized to 444 x 333.

Went from this one -

To this size -

.. in about 2 minutes. I don't know what the issue is(?).

Email me Anthony...

chosen2030

10 Year Member!
Mesa, Arizona
Anthony P said:
Hey guys,

Here is a little video that I made per request of some youtube viewers whom asked me to explain my Spotted Turtle (Clemmys guttata) care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSo1BpPlr2s

And here is a pic of one of my more orange juvenile females.

Thanks for looking,

Anthony

Have you made a hatchling care video too? Or can you recommend a really good care sheet that details the enclosure/setup? I've been told hatchlings are particularly susceptible to drowning, is there a lot of truth to that? I ask because the water in your video seems relatively deep, but I've read/seen it recommended to keep hatchlings in a slanted shoebox sized plastic storage box in only 2 inches of water until they are yearlings.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I Frank,

Thanks for bringing this post back up and ultimately reminding me to get some photos up here :)

I kept my hatchlings a few ways. When they are ready for their first enclosure, a day or two after hatching, I have kept them in sterlite tubs with a small fake plant and a small rock for basking. No filtration and probably only one inch of water. Once I feel they are strong, I use concrete mixing tubs with as much as 4 inches of water, and plnty of live/fake plants, driftwood, oak branches and other hiding places.

Attachments

• IMG_0566.JPG
    IMG_0566.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 16

chosen2030

10 Year Member!
Mesa, Arizona
Anthony P said:
I kept my hatchlings a few ways. When they are ready for their first enclosure, a day or two after hatching, I have kept them in sterlite tubs with a small fake plant and a small rock for basking. No filtration and probably only one inch of water. Once I feel they are strong, I use concrete mixing tubs with as much as 4 inches of water, and plnty of live/fake plants, driftwood, oak branches and other hiding places.

Thanks for replying Anthony. I was wondering about how old most hatchlings are before you feel they are strong enough to move into the mixing tubs? Do you have any pictures of a mixing tub set up?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Here's a pic of the type of setup I was describing. They are 2' by 3' and about 8 inches deep.

I put hatchlings in setups like that pretty early. Once they are eating well, I put them in a bigger enclosure like this and steadily raise the water depth.

Attachments

• IMG_0408.JPG
    IMG_0408.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 17