My tort isn't active, is this a problem?

Eva C

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
I have had my tortoise for under 3 weeks, so I don't know whats normal, and if his behaviors are supposed to be consistent from day to day. He has been in the same spot for the last half a day or so, did wake up a little, but hasn't eaten anything and is mostly just sleeping. He did this once last week, but I attributed that to me forgetting to leave the light on in the room he's in. I just got his heat and uvb lights set up for him yesterday. He planted himself under them yesterday. We have had much cooler temperatures the last few days, but this kind of coincides with the heat lamp installation. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Eva

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
If he's the Russian in your avatar and under 4 inches in shell straight line length then he's getting sick. Might be getting sick even if he's adult but almost garanteed as a youngster raised in an open top Cage(I assume) with little to no heat. You would need to keep your room at 80f and 80% humidity to keep him healthy. He needs a water dish he can climb in and out of. I'll attach a picture below of both this and this next item that work really well. He needs thermometer/hygrometers so that you know that the temperature and humidity is where it needs to be. If you can upload some pictures of his enclosure and his size like holding him in your hand then we can help you further. It sounds like he might be really sick... A good vet that specializes in exotic animals might be in your future. Please get those pictures as quickly as possible and we will help you as much as we can

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_2017-03-23-23-41-08.png
    Screenshot_2017-03-23-23-41-08.png
    229 KB · Views: 11

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
If he's the Russian in your avatar and under 4 inches in shell straight line length then he's getting sick. Might be getting sick even if he's adult but almost garanteed as a youngster raised in an open top Cage(I assume) with little to no heat. You would need to keep your room at 80f and 80% humidity to keep him healthy. He needs a water dish he can climb in and out of. I'll attach a picture below of both this and this next item that work really well. He needs thermometer/hygrometers so that you know that the temperature and humidity is where it needs to be. If you can upload some pictures of his enclosure and his size like holding him in your hand then we can help you further. It sounds like he might be really sick... A good vet that specializes in exotic animals might be in your future. Please get those pictures as quickly as possible and we will help you as much as we can
I agree with Theresa above here, your tortie maybe getting sick and if he is a youngster than more than likely it's respiratory illness coming on. He needs to be kept in a very warm 85F and very humid (80%) chamber and soaked at least once a day and if this was my tortie I'd call my vet asking for urgent visit appointment. He may need antibiotics

Bee62

Germany
When a tort isn`t active it is a real big problem !
I suggest ( like the others before me ) that you kept your tort to cold and now he gets sick. Please tell us the parameters of the enclosure of your tort that we can help.

Eva C

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
Thank you! I did check on him and he ate some lettuce after I posted. I will upload pictures of my enclosure. I think he did get chilled he has been parked underneath the heating lamp.

Eva C

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
The bulbs are 10.0 UVB 13 watt, and the basking spot lamp is 75 watt. Its all Zoo Med. The thermometer on the rock reads 90. As you can see he is right underneath the light.

He is an adult tortoise, about five inches. I soaked him within the last two days, he has access to water but I don't think he's touched it.

I got him at a yard sale, seemed to be well taken care of, but was in an aquarium, with no light. (He was in a classroom and one of the students broke the light. No idea how long he's been without one.) It took me this long to get his new setup, get the lighting figured out (confusing!), and wait to get it in the mail.

Eva C

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
Also, I realize now that I did not include nearly enough information in my first post. Then I left for work without my phone. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you all, I REALLY appreciate your help. I have been a little under the weather this week, too. Will try to get Otis to the vet tomorrow.

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
How far are the lights from the basking rock? Those dial gauges are pretty inaccurate, you might want to get a temp gun to check your temps. Also, make sure the UVB bulb isn't a coiled/looped bulb, those can hurt a tortoises' eyes.

Eva C

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
I agree with Theresa above here, your tortie maybe getting sick and if he is a youngster than more than likely it's respiratory illness coming on. He needs to be kept in a very warm 85F and very humid (80%) chamber and soaked at least once a day and if this was my tortie I'd call my vet asking for urgent visit appointment. He may need antibiotics

He's an adult, about five inches, but I do think he needs to see a vet. I am trying to get him in tomorrow.

Eva C

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
How far are the lights from the basking rock? Those dial gauges are pretty inaccurate, you might want to get a temp gun to check your temps. Also, make sure the UVB bulb isn't a coiled/looped bulb, those can hurt a tortoises' eyes.

It is about 25 inches from the top of his shell. I did lower it a little earlier, and put a damp paper towel on his shell to give him some hydration. One or both of these things agitated him, and he started squirming around and came out and snarfed down a pile of kale as fast as I could put it out for him. He is still sleeping right under the bulb, should I leave it on durig the night?

Eva C

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
No, they need complete darkness at night, as well to cool down. Is your UVB bulb coiled? 25 inches seems too high, the basking area has to be around 95-100 degrees.

The uvb is kind of in a loop. I read an article that said the coiled bulbs were problematic a few years ago, but currently they are fine. I cannot find the article now, will look again. It seemed to be a reasonable source, but I am still concerned, one of the reasons why the light fixture is higher.

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
Yeah, they should have been fixed but we still sometimes see some torts being sensitive to them. At that height though, your tort might not even be getting UV rays since its weak.

Bee62

Germany
What temps do you have at night in the tort enclosure when the light is off ?

Suggstions:
Your tort comes to you already sick because he has got no warmth and UVB light for weeks before.
Taking him to a VET for a check isn`t wrong, but please let the VET not give him any vitamin shots.
If the tort don`t suffer on a RI it also will need no antibiotics. Torts stop eating under antibiotic treatment.
Please keep us updates what the VET had said.