My tortoise accidentally ate Indian Tree Spurge!

speedyTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
While giving my Russian Tortoise a walk in our backyard, he tried eating an Indian Tree Spurge plant. I did not know that he was eating the Indian Tree Spurge plants, but later I searched it up and found out it was toxic to tortoises. He is still small(3 yrs old) and could only get a few bites, around this much:IMG_1774.jpeg
Later, he kept opening his mouth and closing it, and was a little lazy. He has never done the continuing opening and closing of his mouth before and I think it might be related to him eating the plant. Please help as I am worried about him.
Here are some pictures of the plant:
IMG_1771.jpeg
IMG_1772.jpeg
Side note: I gave him a walk after his bath, which was around 1 hr long.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I'll let others talk about procedures, but that's also known as a "pencil cactus" and its sap is also bad for humans and other pets, just FYI

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All you can do is give him a nice long warm soak and keep an eye on him. Most likely if he didn't eat much he will be fine
Now, this is one of the reasons we don't advocate for letting tortoises roam around outside unless it's in an enclosure made specifically for them. This way, everything in the enclosure would be tortoise safe. Hopefully you start ASAP on building that enclosure.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hope he will be ok. You got good advice.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I believe in a situ like this, a good soak is always prudent, I don't think "stomach pumping" would be available or advisable. A good soak will help dilute any potential toxins he may have ingested, and get them to work their way through the GI system.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Additionally, If I were you, I'd do a survey of my area, and remove, remediate any potential plants that could cause harm. You could remove the offending tree and plant something that would be good for your lil tort...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Euphorbia tirucalli - the sap is toxic and causes skin irritation. I doubt one little piece sampled will cause any harm.