My tortoise ate a crocus!

SweetKaykes

Location (City and/or State)
Bellingham, WA
my tortoise was outside today for about 15 minutes. I left my boyfriend to watch him in the yard while I wound the hose back up and when I came back my boyfriend showed me a picture of my baby eating a yellow flower. I found out it was a corcus and I’ve heard they are poisonous. Is this true? If it is, what can I do?

Relic

Here
Is it poisonous? It seems yes and no. Fall blooming variety, yes. Spring blooming variety, no (even though it still might mess with the GI tract). LOTS of species of crocus, with LOTS of characteristics...probably difficult to determine your exact specimen. However, by this point whatever damage is done, is done. Best to never let them eat something you have not already checked out. Best of luck to you.

SweetKaykes

Bellingham, WA
Is it poisonous? It seems yes and no. Fall blooming variety, yes. Spring blooming variety, no (even though it still might mess with the GI tract). LOTS of species of crocus, with LOTS of characteristics...probably difficult to determine your exact specimen. However, by this point whatever damage is done, is done. Best to never let them eat something you have not already checked out. Best of luck to you.

Thank you, this clears it up a lot. I never feed him anything I don’t research first. My boyfriend sees me feed him a variety of different things and he assumed that we could feed him any type of plants. After this, I found the list on this forum of things they can eat and he now has a copy.
Luckily little Kame is okay :)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
If he only ate a flower he’s fine, imo. I not seen anything ever that indicates a tortoise on this forum got more than an irritated face after eating a whole bunch of some tulip tubers themselves. (Sulcatas will eat anything, it seems.)

My Russian tortoise eats the flowers (only) off our iris when they are in season, along with those from another small tuber/bulb plant; I don’t worry about it any more. She’s never shown any interest in other parts of the plant other than for shade. I wish she’d leave a few flowers for us though. ;)

Of course you should keep a close eye on her while you’re learning what to feed and not to feed but I find the Tortoise Table to be unspecific about the parts of these plants that may actually be problematic.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think redfoots are different. In fact, I think rain forest tortoises are much better able to eat and digest plants on the do not feed list. My Manouria dug up and ate all my iris bulbs when I first moved here.

Alberton, South Africa
Thank you, this clears it up a lot. I never feed him anything I don’t research first. My boyfriend sees me feed him a variety of different things and he assumed that we could feed him any type of plants. After this, I found the list on this forum of things they can eat and he now has a copy.

I love the “he now has a copy”

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina

Where can I find that list? I am getting an outside environment for my Sulcata and want to add plants. I already had a scare with buttercups.

SweetKaykes

Bellingham, WA
Where can I find that list? I am getting an outside environment for my Sulcata and want to add plants. I already had a scare with buttercups.
Lyn posted one up above. And here is a few of my favorite ones.

• Arugula
  • Bok choy/Chinese cabbage
  • Collard greens
  • Turnip greens
  • Prickly pear cactus
  • Grape leaf
  • Clover sprouts
  • Alfalfa sprouts
  • Mustard greens
  • Cat grass
  • Wheat grass
  • Alfalfa