My tortoise cannot flip back by himself

ENHorse

Location (City and/or State)
IL
I used 100% coconut fiber as a substrate and they are pretty damped for the moisture. The problem is my tortoise cannot flip back by himself right now...

Is it okay to let him for several hours?
Is this situation really bad?

Attachments

• pi_picture_190410_140244.jpg
    pi_picture_190410_140244.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • pi_picture_190410_140802.jpg
    pi_picture_190410_140802.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • pi_picture_190410_150350.jpg
    pi_picture_190410_150350.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29

aqualungs

Perry, OH
How big is the enclosure? That may be why he is frantically trying to get out or scale the walls. Also if they can see through the glass they will try to get out.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Your enclosure is way to small for this tort. He can hardly even pas the food and water bowls. He needs a much larger one

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO

Your enclosure shows several flaws. Those bowls are a tipping hazard. Use a flat piece of rock or slate for food (or even the rough side of a ceramic wall tile)... and a terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate for food.

I can see a red lamp reflection. These are not suitable. You need a white basking lamp on for 12-14 hours a day with 95-100F directly underneath, tube UVB and a Ceramic Heat Emitter with a thermostat to provide ambient heat without light which should run 24/7.

The floor area of your enclosure looks way to small for a tortoise that size.

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Leopard Tortoise
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

ENHorse

IL
How big is the enclosure? That may be why he is frantically trying to get out or scale the walls. Also if they can see through the glass they will try to get out.

It is 20" x 12". I guess I need to cover the sides.

ENHorse

IL
Your enclosure is way to small for this tort. He can hardly even pas the food and water bowls. He needs a much larger one

I thought it would be enough. Yeah...I guess I need to change to a larger one.

ENHorse

IL
Hello and welcome to TFO

Your enclosure shows several flaws. Those bowls are a tipping hazard. Use a flat piece of rock or slate for food (or even the rough side of a ceramic wall tile)... and a terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate for food.

I can see a red lamp reflection. These are not suitable. You need a white basking lamp on for 12-14 hours a day with 95-100F directly underneath, tube UVB and a Ceramic Heat Emitter with a thermostat to provide ambient heat without light which should run 24/7.

The floor area of your enclosure looks way to small for a tortoise that size.

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Leopard Tortoise
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Thanks.
I guess I need to change heat lamp and enclosure.