Tortoise Cannot Flip Itself Over

Average Joe

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I saw my tortoise on its back the other day and observed it for a while. I’ve heard that tortoises are supposed to flip themselves back over if they manage to fall on their back but my tortoise didn’t seem to be doing this. It just laid there, unmoving. I flipped it over today to see if it could get back up but it made a few weak attempts and failed. I’m worried that my tortoise will flip over when I’m not at home and become stuck in that position.

Bee62

Germany
Tortoises can flip theirselves back but they need a soil that gives the legs a firm hold. A tortoise on the back should try with movements to roll on the side and to flip back on the legs. Like the one in the video.

lymcBoris

Scotland
Tortoises can flip theirselves back but they need a soil that gives the legs a firm hold. A tortoise on the back should try with movements to roll on the side and to flip back on the legs. Like the one in the video.

Wow, that's amazing. How it shakes itself like that. A bit shocking but also a little bit funny ( only if it's not in distress). I could watch tortoises all day. Really fascinating and just so cute, especially their little wise eyes.