sullies that flip over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendallllmcd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
TEXASSSS
okk sometimes my little torts will flip themselves over and each time they have i have been there so i flip them right side up so no harm was done
annnd i was wondering how long they have to be flipped over before something bad happens? like just if they are flipped over in the cool area of there table not the water or under the light?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
They can actually last for a couple hours as long as they are not in any danger i.e. Heat and under stress. But it all depends on the situation.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Are they in a glass tank? If so you can put paper around on the outside. If they can't see through it helps. Are they climbing on something and flipping over? I keep my enclosure simple with nothing to climb on. Better to be safe than sorry.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
from what I understand the way their lungs are situated when they are flipped over it puts stress on them because of their breathing, best solution is fix the reason/problem why they are flipping over, better safe than sorry.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I will be easier on you if you do figure out what is causeing them to flip over and fix it, and most times it's something very simple..

M

Maggie Cummings

Being on their backs really stresses them out and that is just as dangerous as the actual physical danger of not being able to breathe. You can see how they go around in circles trying to right themselves and they lose control of their bodily functions, it's very hard on them. And be careful about turning them back over. They can get their intestines twisted if you flip them too fast...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is very common with babies. They should stop it within a week or two. Babies can last a long time on their backs, but the bigger and heavier they are the less time they have. The lungs are situated on top of all the other organs when they are right side up, so when they flip, they weight of all of their organs is pushing on their lungs. It makes breathing very difficult for them. They can last a while, but not indefinitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.