Clarification on flipping

Jerickson

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, Arizona
Hi Everyone—I've been perusing the threads on flipping and I'm still trying to figure out how I should respond.

Trevor is a 3 month old hatchling who has been with me for about two weeks. He's started climbing up on top one a half-logs in his enclose and flipping over. He's done this a dozen times in the last few days, and each time I help him out.

At the pet store (which I'm now realizing may not be the most informed) they have a sign by their baby tortoises assuring customers that the baby's can flip themselves back over on their own and need to be left alone to learn to do so. Is that right? Is this like a skill that I should let Trevor develop? I've also read on here and elsewhere that being flipped for too long can lead to death.

I've moved the half-log away from the basking area so that he doesn't flip under the light... but I'm wondering if I need to remove it altogether? I'm home a lot but I can't be here all the time...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some can flip themselves but they also can die if left too long being flipped.
My opinion is we took them in and they are not in their natural habitat where they likely have a better chance of flipping themselves over, that I feel we need to do what is necessary to help them to right themselves and to remove any flipping danger.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At the pet store (which I'm now realizing may not be the most informed) they have a sign by their baby tortoises assuring customers that the baby's can flip themselves back over on their own and need to be left alone to learn to do so. Is that right? Is this like a skill that I should let Trevor develop?
Like most info at the pet store, that is wrong. Dead wrong.

Take out the log hide and replace it with a proper humid hide. You also probably need more "stuff" in the enclosure. Tortoise furniture, as it were. Plants, either hanging or potted, big rocks, big logs, etc...

Show us pictures of your enclosure and we will have helpful tips for you.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yep. What @Tom said. Remove the log & get a rectangular rubbermaid container and make a hide. Tom has posted plenty of info on rubbermaid hides.

Those half logs are pet store money makers, but not good for tortoises.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
One of the things that sucks when you are attempting to make an esthetically pleasing enclosure is that any item that a tortoise has previously flipped over needs to be modified if possible or removed. Lots of times you end up with a pretty spartan looking enclosure. Not what you wanted and without some items you really liked and may have spent good money on.
A tortoise that is upside down can die pretty quickly. Especially if it's also near a heat source. Think of it as "child proofing". You'll need to protect them from some of their own harmful behavior. Like climbing.