My tortoise, cheese!

Hamiltondood

Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Texas
yesterday I fed him sunflower leaves, escarole, baby kale, hibiscus leaves, parsley, a little bit of squash, and rose of Sharon leaves. Today he tried mazuri, didn’t even have to mix it with his food ?

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Beautiful baby you’ve got there! Correct me if I’m wrong but it looks like your using an open topped enclosure? You need high humidity levels to prevent pyramiding, they humidity levels should not drop below 85%. The higher the better. Read this care sheet...

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
Beautiful baby you’ve got there! Correct me if I’m wrong but it looks like your using an open topped enclosure? You need high humidity levels to prevent pyramiding, they humidity levels should not drop below 85%. The higher the better. Read this care sheet...
Thanks! I bought a greenhouse but the order got delayed

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I think with the defensive comments I see floating around this thread and mostly others just possibly point out we might need to back off some..just thinkin

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
For the heat bulb, I’m using a 65W GTC ‘indoor floodlights’ bulb. couldnt see anything about halogen on the box so I’m going to assume there’s no halogen. I take him outside 3 times a week for 2 hours to get some UVB. I got him a little plastic ramp (???) toy that he can climb onto, it has a tunnel, 2 ramps, and a little area where I just filled up with substrate. I’ve been reading tom’s care sheets for the past 2-ish weeks and Ive also started a list of plants to buy. he arrived on July 17th, I bought him from the Arizona tortoise compound. I also don’t provide spaghum moss since i heard it could impact your tortoise, I’m just using wet mulch for his humid hide. For food, I fed him mazuri 3 times a week in a little plate. For greens, I’m planning on growing wheat grass and buying seed mixes, he gets some spring mix, some weeds, kale, hibiscus, rose of Sharon, and sunflower leaves. Sometimes I give him more grocery store veggies but it’s most plants from my backyard. Once he outgrows his little ramp toy, I’m gonna remove it and add in some real plants. I’m also growing dandelion from seed so hopefully he likes dandelions
9A508718-5AC0-45DB-A881-867820F5482D.jpeg22A1729F-94A1-4D40-9DB2-57EE0460E7D5.jpeg

Last edited:

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
For the heat bulb, I’m using a 65W GTC ‘indoor floodlights’ bulb. couldnt see anything about halogen on the box so I’m going to assume there’s no halogen. I take him outside 3 times a week for 2 hours to get some UVB. I got him a little plastic ramp (???) toy that he can climb onto, it has a tunnel, 2 ramps, and a little area where I just filled up with substrate. I’ve been reading tom’s care sheets for the past 2-ish weeks and Ive also started a list of plants to buy. he arrived on July 17th, I bought him from the Arizona tortoise compound. I also don’t provide spaghum moss since i heard it could impact your tortoise, I’m just using wet mulch for his humid hide.View attachment 304862View attachment 304861
The floodlight doesn’t provide heat, only light. I would suggest getting a CHE bulb hooked up to a thermostat.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Haha I removed the animals after the picture, I put a clay mushroom (I washed it, no soap) in the corner too. just waiting on that greenhouse

Dear Hamiltondood,

hi , me again. Forgive me with my quick talking mouth please (must have picked it up from husband).
For one—- I would very much like to welcome you to this forum. You will learn the best ways to raise your gorgeous tortoise. It was said that we jump on “new” people right away to correct their wrong doings. I really meant no harm. I text slower than my mind thinks so I write fast and right to the point. My apologies dear sir. It’s not you . I have learned sooo much from everything I HAVE done wrong that I can see what others are doing like I did and correct them without thinking of how to put it nicely.
second—- I DO wish you the best with your new family member. You will truly have a blast!!! I do. I am so glad you took a funny pictures with the cows but some actually leave them in!?!?!??? Lol.
And finally— please read all the members that answer your questions . They are GREAT with advice.
Ok then... I’ve probably hurt your eyes from all this reading.... see!! That’s why I write the last note so fast!! ?????
Good Luck ??

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
Dear Hamiltondood,

hi , me again. Forgive me with my quick talking mouth please (must have picked it up from husband).
For one—- I would very much like to welcome you to this forum. You will learn the best ways to raise your gorgeous tortoise. It was said that we jump on “new” people right away to correct their wrong doings. I really meant no harm. I text slower than my mind thinks so I write fast and right to the point. My apologies dear sir. It’s not you . I have learned sooo much from everything I HAVE done wrong that I can see what others are doing like I did and correct them without thinking of how to put it nicely.
second—- I DO wish you the best with your new family member. You will truly have a blast!!! I do. I am so glad you took a funny pictures with the cows but some actually leave them in!?!?!??? Lol.
And finally— please read all the members that answer your questions . They are GREAT with advice.
Ok then... I’ve probably hurt your eyes from all this reading.... see!! That’s why I write the last note so fast!! ?????
Good Luck ??
Thanks ? I’ll try to do my best for my tortoise

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Thanks ? I’ll try to do my best for my tortoise

I know you will . We here on this forum feel the same about tortoises. And you have a beauty!! Enjoy him while he is young because they grow fast!!! Maybe it’s because of all the weeds they eat??
??????????