My Tortoise is stiff !!

yaminiagarwal28

Location (City and/or State)
Jaipur
Hey guys, i have a tortoise who was healthy until yesterday and today in the morning i found him stiff and not moving at all. His head is half inside and his front legs is outside folded backwards and his legs in the back are half inside. His whole body is stiff and same from past 10 hours. His eyes are closed. I tried poking him and soaked him in water but he wont move at all he is just stiff. Please HELPP!!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hey guys, i have a tortoise who was healthy until yesterday and today in the morning i found him stiff and not moving at all. His head is half inside and his front legs is outside folded backwards and his legs in the back are half inside. His whole body is stiff and same from past 10 hours. His eyes are closed. I tried poking him and soaked him in water but he wont move at all he is just stiff. Please HELPP!!
Sorry but it sounds like your tortoise has passed away.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Does it blink if blow on his eye?
Does it hide his head when you touch it?
Does it retract his legs?
When you put it in one spot does it move?
When you put some water on his head does it react?
When you flip it upside down does it wiggle - natural instinct to get back onto its plastron.

If it’s a no for all chances are that your tortoise passed. I am sorry.

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
This happened to my tort Kiwi, who passed away a few months ago. Wait 14 more hours though just to make sure though. Unfortunately it does sound like your tort has passed. We are all very sorry for your loss.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So very sorry. I does sound like he has passed.
You can wait longer if you feel the need too. Soak in warm water daily and put him in a warm area of the enclosure but not under basking light.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
but it is said that the body loosens up on death. ...
That happens later. "Rigor mortis" is the description of how a dead body gets very stiff (a complex interaction of bodily energy, specialized proteins, and minerals in the muscles). After all of the electricity dissipates and the muscle cells lose their tension, the body goes limp (this also signals that decomposition has begun, and there may be an odor).

In any case, it does no harm to try some emergency first aid measures (like warm soaking).

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. Let us know how we can help.

Last edited:

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I am sorry about your tortoise.