image-3070344104.png
Fist built it

image-1312294821.png

New jungle substrate

image-1745327348.png

Growing grass on the side with there pool

image-913765869.png

My two tortoises chuck and Bruce

Let me know what uguys think or if I should add anything? I'm already lookin for a plexy glass for a lid to cover half at least. Thanks

Attachments

• image-2634996964.png
    image-2634996964.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 97

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: My yortoise table

That's really nice. They have plenty of room to wander.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So is there two individual enclosures? Nice.

I would suggest that you build a a simple arch over the end for your lights to be hung from so that they are shining downward vs at an angle..also eventually this clamps give....just my thoughts :D

Dkronic

5 Year Member
Yea that sound better, I was gunna get a couple ceiling hooks but it's so high. Should I keep the lights where they are? night at one end and day at the other cause they already have the window

Dkronic

5 Year Member
and no it's 1 big enclosure I'm just growing grass on the pool side, so they can go over there till its ready

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Looks great! What are the dimensions and what is holding it up?

My XL cement mixing tub is doing well but at the rate Harper is growing I'll need a new cage in less than 2 years.

Dkronic

5 Year Member
7-3ft and I bought a fold out table from zellers for the stand

image-2352441851.png

Can't wait for the grass to be done so I can open the whole table again

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It looks great, but there are some things you may want to think about.

- if you build a frame over the whole thing, strong enough to hang the lights from, you can then drape or attach clear sheet vinyl to it and the whole thing would be covered pretty easily. The frame can be things like arched or straight PVC pipe, etc.

- I am glad you are growing real plants in there, but a 'spring mix' lettuce selection might be more helpful than grass. You may also want to think about growing the plants in removeable trays and having 2 or more of the trays going- tortoises are amazingly aggressive at destroying plants as they get bigger.

- I assume those are MVB lights for heat, light, and UVB? My problem with MVBs is in the balancing act it takes. They need to be a certain distance for best UVB, but that limits your ability to move them for heat control and even lighting. You may want to think about eventually going to a long-tube low-level UVB bulb, possibly combined with a warm or daylight fluorescent and a CHE or two. This version offers more flexibility, especially in a closed system.

- More plants. This is becoming one of my rallying calls for red-footed tortoise enclosures- more plants, preferably live. They provide shade and hiding places, help moderate humidity, clean the air, etc. As your torts get bigger, you need to shift from planting them in the soil (if you were running soil) to putting them in pots to protect them, but plants are wonderful!

But, even with these ideas, it looks great!

Dkronic

5 Year Member
Yea I'm using jungle substrate from pets mart and I just threw in a bunch of dandy lion seeds not sure what else would grow in a couple inches of soil, and just made a new home big enough for both of them

Attachments

• image-1925301831.png
    image-1925301831.png
    444.6 KB · Views: 39

Dkronic

5 Year Member
The grass is done wonder how long it's gunna last, grow outside grass and plants outside of the tank next time.

Attachments

• image-3147014770.png
    image-3147014770.png
    336.1 KB · Views: 52
  • image-2460470970.png
    image-2460470970.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
Status
Not open for further replies.