My tortoises died.

TurtleLover_Aly

Location (City and/or State)
Karachi, Pakistan
I don't know. One day they were just inside their enclosure, sleeping. Sometime later I came to check on them and saw that they both were dead.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So sorry to hear about your torts.
What were their temps like - could they have been too cold or overheated?
Or maybe something they ate?

TurtleLover_Aly

Karachi, Pakistan
The big problem was that the country I live in doesn't care about it's animals. The shopkeeper who sold me the tortoises didn't tell me what kind they were, and it might be that he might've given me a tortoises with diseases. He didn't even tell me the required enclosure, so I kept them in a huge tub which had plants and stuff, and the shopkeeper gave me a specific food to feed them everyday. Now I feel that the tortoises died because of me :(

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
That is sad
The big problem was that the country I live in doesn't care about it's animals. The shopkeeper who sold me the tortoises didn't tell me what kind they were, and it might be that he might've given me a tortoises with diseases. He didn't even tell me the required enclosure, so I kept them in a huge tub which had plants and stuff, and the shopkeeper gave me a specific food to feed them everyday. Now I feel that the tortoises died because of me :(
That is sad, but true for many places still in the World. Old ways of thinking that refuse to adapt to what is best for a baby tortoise. Fix the enclosure up and grow plants, make it a vibrant and healthy area. Who know with some time and research you may change your mind. Just wishing you the best

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
No way it was your fault. The problem was having a shopkeeper that didn't know what he was talking about.
Soooooo sorry for your loss.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thank you everybody for caring about my pets. May they rest in peace. I might've to leave TortoiseForum since I don't know if I'll ever have the guts to buy another tortoise. Anyways, I'll stay for some more time.
They are wonderful pets. If there are no reputable breeders near it might be hard. Even here in the U.S. you take a chance of getting a healthy tort or the right info.
Guaranteed you will get the proper information here.

Obbie

Minnesota
I know how hard it is, I lost my Emi in August. I was devastated, I think we all blame ourselves, as their primary care givers. I was lucky enough to have someone ask if I could rehome Mali !! She is about 8., desert tortoise !!!
sweet as can be ! I don’t believe I would ever get a hatchling again. I live in Minnesota, UGH !!! I go to Arizona in the winter, I brought Mali and my 2 Jack Russells down with me. They are all happy, me too !!!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Offensive quote by Jackie D was deleted by moderator
Wow, Jackie, that was vicious!

People make mistakes, all of us. Somewhere along the line someone made mistakes with these torts, but do we know who? Was it the breeder? The shop owner certainly made mistakes. And the OP, due to bad info, also probably did. Sounds like there's plenty of blame to go around in this sad tale.

But the OP, who is already feeling guilty, had the courage to come on the forum and admit fault, while looking for compassion and sympathy...which you are obviously completely without.

I do feel sorry for people who have made a mistake once, and I certainly have empathy for someone who has lost pets. It is devastating enough without being attacked and called an incompetent moron.

If the OP does not learn from this experience, and does the same things again, I will have a complete reversal of my attitude. But I believe that the OP, who obviously cared for the torts, has already suffered enough without your verbal beating.

And yes, in spite of their ignorance and stupidity, I feel sorry for those mamas of crack babies...once only.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sa Ga

MN
Offensive quote deleted by moderator

Is there a "dislike" button? Jackie, this is completely the OPPOSITE of the spirit of this forum. Clearly he feels very badly and will make sure to learn before he buys again.

It's one thing to point out errors and/or give suggestions that may or may not be construed by the recipient as criticism, but to call him an "idiot"? You're scaring away people who are trying to learn so this doesn't happen again.

Not cool.

Last edited by a moderator: