My Tort's eating sand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, CA
I let my 2 Leopards out to roam in my backyard today, and i noticed one of them was making some cracking sound. I watched him for a couple minutes and saw that he was gnawing on rocks and eating sand. Is that normal? and is it ok for Leopards to be eating sand?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
not good to let continue. I agree.. prob needs calcium.. get a cuttle bone (for birds) and give that to them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some torts do this, but no, its not okay. I have found that if you feed them up real good and sprinkle calcium on the food BEFORE you put them out, they tend to do this less. I does seem like they are trying to make up for a calcium or mineral deficiency in most cases.

Since he's already done it, I would also start doing daily warm water soaks for the next couple of weeks at least. This will help him pass any material that he's already ingested.

Doug

10 Year Member!
Ontario, CA
I see. I just got him couple weeks ago at a local pet shop. I think all they were feeding them was lettuce. Read that Lettuce isn't the best food to give them...at least not if it is the only food they get. Trying to get them to start eating other food like grass, Green pepper, carrot, Zoo Med Natural Grassland tortoise food. No luck yet though. Will keep trying.
I also do give my torts warm bath one a day. Is it too much?
As far as Calcium supplement goes, how much do i give them?

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are right about the lettuce. Its fine as PART of a good varied diet, but not so good as their main diet. Grazing on weeds and grass is the best thing for them if you can provide it. Look in the diet section for the plant ID section to help identify the weeds near you. Oh yeah, where are you? What size/age tortoise are we talking about?
I also like spineless opuntia cactus, grape leaves, hibiscus leaves and flowers, mulberry leaves, Mazuri tortoise chow and a few others. I would not feed much carrot or green pepper and mine won't eat the Zoo-Med food unless I soak it and mush it up with their other greens.

I think daily soaks are good, but that is just my opinion. I used to soak them a lot less, but I much prefer the results from daily soaking.

The calcium subject is very debatable. Some people never use any and raise healthy tortoises. Other people use it every day and raise healthy torts. Generally, I use it twice a week for babies and juveniles. In your case, I'd use it every other day. I just sprinkle a fine layer on top of the food.

Here is a care sheet detailing my opinion on how to care for them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1IR7h2iVV

Oh. I just saw your intro thread again... Ontario and 4-5 inch leopard, right?

Doug

10 Year Member!
Ontario, CA
Tom said:
You are right about the lettuce. Its fine as PART of a good varied diet, but not so good as their main diet. Grazing on weeds and grass is the best thing for them if you can provide it. Look in the diet section for the plant ID section to help identify the weeds near you. Oh yeah, where are you? What size/age tortoise are we talking about?
I also like spineless opuntia cactus, grape leaves, hibiscus leaves and flowers, mulberry leaves, Mazuri tortoise chow and a few others. I would not feed much carrot or green pepper and mine won't eat the Zoo-Med food unless I soak it and mush it up with their other greens.

I think daily soaks are good, but that is just my opinion. I used to soak them a lot less, but I much prefer the results from daily soaking.

The calcium subject is very debatable. Some people never use any and raise healthy tortoises. Other people use it every day and raise healthy torts. Generally, I use it twice a week for babies and juveniles. In your case, I'd use it every other day. I just sprinkle a fine layer on top of the food.

Here is a care sheet detailing my opinion on how to care for them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1IR7h2iVV

Oh. I just saw your intro thread again... Ontario and 4-5 inch leopard, right?

Yep. I'm in Ontario and larger one is about 5". Smaller is 4. Not sure how old they are though. will try to get some photos up.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am in La Verne and I know of a couple of pet stores that feed only lettuce.

Doug

10 Year Member!
Ontario, CA
dmmj said:
I am in La Verne and I know of a couple of pet stores that feed only lettuce.

Hi
yea i wish they wouldn't do that. Its like allowing someone to eat only Mcdonalds everyday

my leopards:

Leopards%20home.JPG

photo4.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.