My torts shell soft ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoseman441

5 Year Member
Like I said earlier I bought mvb bulb . Made his cage at 70 to 80 humidity now . Also he has a hot spot that gets to 90 to 95 during the day and at night his cage stays no colder than 80 at night . I give him calcium powder 3 times a week a vitamins once a week . So since I'm doing wright now . How long does it take for his shell to get hard again ? I soak him 2 times a day . Please help me I don't wana lose this one either . Thanks fireman Dave

M

Maggie Cummings

Soaking once a day is good enough. What are you feeding? That's what's important, diet...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Dave, it will take a while, won't happen immediately, so keep it up :D

There are others here that have loads of first hand experience with these guys....so wait a bit and they will give you their great information :D:D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I will take a little while, but just stick with your routine and things will improve.

I have a rescue sulcata that was very soft on the top and the bottom. With all the right foods, plenty of sun, calcium and some TNT her shell hardened up. I took a few weeks but she is fine. SHe has some bad pyramiding but she is healthy and her shell is hard which is the important part.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
It Wont Happen Fast, But You Will Be Able To Notice A Difference Very Soon.
You Are Doing EveryThing That You Can, Only Time Can Tell :)
Keep Him Humid and Hot

Hoseman441

5 Year Member
I feed him spring mix only right now . I tried to introduce some muzuri mix with it but he won't eat that just the spring mix is all he eats . After I soak hinge comes alive , he sorta ok Bu he doesn't move around as much . So that could be from the shell being is why is acting like that .

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Have you tried soaking the mazuri until is moist and smearing it on the spring mix?

Hoseman441

5 Year Member
I soak it and layer it on the spring mix not to thick but mix it up and he won't eat it . Just the spring mix by it self he goes too town on it .

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well the spring mix will be good to get him to eat...also, if you check the produce section you may be able to find the organic herb mix...my Redfoot tortoise love that stuff....

Also the spring mix is a good thing to sprinkle the calcium supplement onto as well, you can also put a cuttlebone into the tank for him to eat off of if he feels the desire...

Keep us posted, I hope he makes a speedy recovery.:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
calcium and sunshine will harden him up, but it can take awhile weeks, months, maybe longer. As long as he is hardening up, don't worry to much. Personally I use cuttle bone bought from a local feed store for 25 cents a piece, you can put pieces in the enclosure and grind some up and sprinkle lightly on the food.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Like Angela said, sprinkle some calcium supplement on the spring mix also.

Again just know that this is going to take some time, it will be slow and steady progress...

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Sometimes a sulcuta won't eat a certain food when it is first offered to him. If you give it to him again in a few days he my make it his favorite food. Mine has done this to me a number of times now. For the longest time he would not eat kale or opuntia cactus. Periodically I would buy some and put it in with his other food. Now he eats it first.

I would keep giving him the mazuri pellets. He will eventually eat them or you will at least use up your supply and want have to store them.

Hoseman441

5 Year Member
Im still a Lil worried about my Lil tort he is not moving around at all . I'll pick him up then put him back in his cage and where ever I put him he will just stay wright there. He eats a Lil about all most everyday , so I think he has a chance since he is still eating. But is that normal since he has that soft shell ? Is making him to where he doesn't move much ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes its normal to be lethargic when they are in this condition. Keep doing what you are doing.

I don't know where you live. Are you able to get him some direct sunshine? There is nothing better.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Sounds like you're doing the right things, keep it up and hope for the best!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Tortoises are slow to show signs of an illness. And, they are slow to recover from an illness. Eating anything is a good sign. It may take a while before his full appetite returns. Keep the temperature up above 80F and make sure he stays hydrated. If you don't see him drink then you should soak him once a day for about 20 minutes. He should move around enough to eat and to move in and out of the basking area. He should have a hide, a place to get out of the light but still be warm and dark.

His shell will get harder over time. Babies tend to have a soft shell, not mushy, just not real firm. Spending time in the sunshine will really help. Don't put him out on cold damp ground, but if the sun is out and the ground is warm you might take him out for 30 to 45 minutes a few times a week.

Hoseman441

5 Year Member
Update of my Lil tort . I've been soaking him everyday now for about 20 mins. He perks up in the water , but when I put him back in his Lil hotel he doesn't move much . He is not eating much either now . I'm still giving him calcium powder 3 times a week and vitamin powder once a week . So I hope he pulls through . Also thanks to everybody for your on here . Fireman Dave .

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Are you putting baby food in the soaks?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
a baby food mix of 50/50 is great with small guys.... any strained leafy or root veggies will work. i.e. spinich, sweet potatoe...ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.