My tropical jungle....NOT

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Looks good, I would be very pleased with that. Is the ant spray safe to use in the enclosure though?
I've read that diatomaceous earth (food grade) is good

Did you spray INside the enclosure?

AnimalLady

Looks good, I would be very pleased with that. Is the ant spray safe to use in the enclosure though?
I've read that diatomaceous earth (food grade) is good
I didn't spray inside, just outside all around, like a barrier.. I wouldn't dare spray inside :)

AnimalLady

Jungles take time. You have a great start. As for plants, ask friends, neighbors, folks on Craig's list. Use seeds (veggies and flowers). A good thought is perhaps vine plants like squash. This time of year there are a lot of pumpkin seeds laying around.
Squash gets too crazy for my liking. I was thinking Pothos, is that safe?

I'm going to throw Tesudo mix in there and be hopeful

AnimalLady

Looks good to me. Throw some seeds in as suggested. Is there anywhere local where you can go dig up some dandilion and plantain weeds, to replant in your enclosure.
Could you use the holes in the top of the cinder blocks to grow something in from seed, pansies maybe. Can't tell how big the blocks are.
Maybe a flat Rock at substrate level to help keep your torts nails trimmed.( not sure if small rocks can get too hot in your climate). This is not something I have to worry about. Lol.

I need to pickup some slates, thank you!

Ohh, that's a great idea, plant stuff in the cinder blocks! I'm going to attempt this!!

I bought some dandelion seeds..I'm going to plant these and be hopeful too

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Have you tried the bush varieties of the squahes?

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Plantain seeds from CarolinaPetSupply.com (the large type of Plantain). The plants grow big, provide shade, are a good food source and they look nice. They also re-seed themselves so you do not have to buy more seeds.

AnimalLady

Plantain seeds from CarolinaPetSupply.com (the large type of Plantain). The plants grow big, provide shade, are a good food source and they look nice. They also re-seed themselves so you do not have to buy more seeds.
I like this! I'll order some, thank you!