Mysterious Plant

CarterEvan

hello! I need some help identifying these two plants. I recently fed my tortoise the first photo, without thinking, and i think this may have given him diarrhea. The second plant is what he was walking around in today, and he may have eaten it while i wasn't looking.

Can anyone tell me if either of these plants are toxic or could have made him sick?IMG_5199.JPGIMG_5198.JPGIMG_5196.JPGIMG_5195.JPGIMG_5193.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

CarterEvan

OOPS LOL sorry i don't know why it posted so many. But there are just multiple pictures of the same plant. There is the light green with the roundish leaves that looks like a succulent, and the dark green and purple one that looks like tiny christmas trees.

I'll try and see if i can delete some of the pictures from the post, but it looks like all the pictures just posted twice. Despite the many pictures, they are just a bunch of different angles of the same two plants haha.

CarterEvan

Also I just thought I should clarify that my tortoises is very underweight and has just now gotten to 40g. This was an all time high for him but after his diarrhea episode he lost 5g. :(

He seems to be alright now but the amount he pooped in such a short time leads me to believe that his body was trying to flush itself of something? if that makes sense?

and his outside time in the purple and green flowers as well as the introduction of the new light green succulent thing are the only new introductions in his life so I believe they may be the problem.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
The first one looks like sedum, called Ice Plant on Tortoise table. It is ok to feed but being a succulent it may have "loosening properties". The second one is Ajuga, I'm pretty sure tortoise table has it listed as an "ok" plant. So relax! All's good

CarterEvan

The first one looks like sedum, called Ice Plant on Tortoise table. It is ok to feed but being a succulent it may have "loosening properties". The second one is Ajuga, I'm pretty sure tortoise table has it listed as an "ok" plant. So relax! All's good

Okay thanks! I might wait a little and then try those foods again. He ate every piece of the succulent i put in his food dish so maybe ill try it again in a few days.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I don't pick my flowers/plants from the garden to put on my babies food dish, but I make sure ALL plants that grow in their garden are not toxic to them so when outside they graze freely on whatever they like. Their main indoor food is store bought salad greens (dandelions, escarole, endive, mustard, collards, turnip greens) cactus, fruits, veggies, mixed in with rotation of different commercial forest tortoise (I keep RFs) dry food soaked. They get their weeds outside in the garden. My babies are not outside full time yet. Plus mine also need animal protein, so I add that as well. They absolutely LOVE their meals. What I'm getting to, Evan, is that I probably wouldn't mow down my Ajuga plant to feed to it the babies that day. I think their diet needs to be a lot more diverse. Just think about it, in nature when they graze, they get big mix of everything. I just try to mimic the nature in everything you do for your pet. I try to research the species, where they live, what they eat, what their natural behaviors, and try to duplicate it in your husbandry. It's lots of fun for me and my children to do it this way as a team. We are enjoying it and our animals only benefit from it:) Good luck to you, Evan

Pearly

5 Year Member
And Joe ate mine completely to the ground. They tried to grow back back he ate them too. I have given up growing them :(
Hahah! That's why I try to propagate mine as much as possible so that by the time my babies live outside full time I'll have plenty to replenish with:)