Na Na Na..Batman and Robin!

StuMac

5 Year Member
Hey guys. Quick bump! I've rehoused both my guys in separate sides of a large vivarium. I made a divider and both now have ample space to wander and explore. I cut down a branch from a tree in my garden to create climbing space, boiled them and dried them out in the oven then trimmed and tied them together. Added some vines, and they are loving the room. Eating well, getting big and strong. Having a blast with them!! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418030114.445537.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418030149.058569.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Glad you separated them and got rid of the sand. They will be so much better for these changes.

Beardies are one of the species that really need a lot of UVB. Have you got that covered?

Started your dubia roach colony yet?

StuMac

5 Year Member
Hi Tom....yeah I have a uv strip in each side. Couldn't get it in the shot as the glare of the lights were blurring the shot!

Haven't started a colony yet, as I work offshore and I'm not fully read up on it yet. They do munch on a few mealworms once or twice a week, plenty kale, Pak Choi, have a water dish, and get calcium powder too. Along with locusts which they love. Batman wiped out a locust in 2.4 seconds yesterday!! Temperatures are holding at 32c both sides.

StuMac

5 Year Member
Hey guys. Been a while! Hope you all had a good Xmas and New Year.

So I returned from a trip offshore to find a huge difference in my beardies. Batman HATES being handled. Runs, jumps, dives...you name it he will do it to get away. I've been told to keep at it and he will learn in time. Robin on the other hand loves attention. He stands at the glass and looks out and when I appear he can't wait to be picked up. Diets are both great, they are feeding well. Both getting bigger, although Robin seems to be growing slower.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420651846.297621.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420651868.812665.jpg
Batman

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420651893.892154.jpg
Robin.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Nice little guys! Just wanted to give a little tip if you didn't know. Beardies need mostly bugs while they're growing and it's not until they're a year old that you switch to 80% veggies. :) Just thought I'd say that since you said they only get mealworms a couple times a week?
I was also glad to see that you got them off of sand and separated them! Especially since the one seemed to be twice the size as the other in one of your photos.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
They look great!! They do love dubia roaches. They are so easy breed! They don't have parasites like crickets and they are quiet.

StuMac

5 Year Member
Hey KTyne, yeah I was initially giving them mealworms a couple times a week as I was told they are pretty fatty. So they were a treat. I've been giving them locusts every day and they love them. The enclosure is perfect for them for now, obviously in time I'll need another one and separate them into a whole one each. The bigger one, Batman, is a temperamental sod. Really moody, not keen on being handled. Robin, the smaller one, is quite content to be picked up.

As usual, the sand was as a result of bad shop info. Seems to be the cheapest way for them to house them so pass that off to customers.

MomOf4, I would start a colony, but I work away from home so my family would struggle to work with them. They JUST manage with the locusts!

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Ahhhhh ok, now I get you! Do you mean Crickets or Dubia Roaches? I wish we could have Dubia here but they are illegal to have in Canada. :\
My Beardie gets all sorts of worms, I try to give all of my guys a big variety and not stick to one thing. :)

StuMac

5 Year Member
Sorry, I meant roaches. Tom on here suggested I start a colony, but I'm a bit wary as I don't have much knowledge of it, plus with working away my family would need to deal with them and they aren't the most reptile-savvy as it is! They seem to be enjoying the kale and locust with occasional worms. What other vegetation can I give them? The names on the website I have all seem to be American names so it's tricky to figure out what is suitable for them.

Tortshort

When our beardie was about the size of your she started to get mean. It's like she had gone through a teenager phase. We started handling her more and she is now fantastic!!

StuMac

5 Year Member
Thanks KTyne, that's a great help!

And Tortshort, yeah I'm noticing that Batman is very slowly coming round if I make slow movements and keep my hand in his side of the viv, instead of trying to take him out. He seems a bit more relaxed. But he still runs and jumps most of the time. I'll get him trained. I have 3 weeks off at a time, plenty time to work on him.

StuMac

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1429529258.379968.jpg

Found myself a rabbit cage so after a few modifications I've created the perfect outdoor enclosure for the guys. Again, I sourced some wood from my local estate and after boiling and baking them I assembled the lair. Got the boys out for the first time and they seem quite content. Yay for summertime!!