Name this Plant

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Found this while bush hogging..thought it was watermelon.. has large prickly leafs with Yellow blooms like squash...but it’s not watermelon or squash. It’s white when you cut it open... and not just a not-ripe white.. my friends husband is a 74 yr old farmer and he says he’s never saw anything like it. The vine that’s attached to the “fruit” looks just like a pumpkin vine.
Stumped!!!

CDC5500A-D893-43C7-A195-256F4DFA445B.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Found this while bush hogging..thought it was watermelon.. has large prickly leafs with Yellow blooms like squash...but it’s not watermelon or squash. It’s white when you cut it open... and not just a not-ripe white.. my friends husband is a 74 yr old farmer and he says he’s never saw anything like it. The vine that’s attached to the “fruit” looks just like a pumpkin vine.
Stumped!!!
Picture this app said Pumpkin?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It just looks like an immature pumpkin to me. What do the seeds inside look like?

Last edited:

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Kind of like a cucumber?? But a pumpkin would make sense because every Halloween I throw the carved pumpkin guts in the pasture for my horses and deer:). These are growing in an area that the rain water that runs down from the pasture gathers..AWESOME!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m guessing immature pumpkin as well. I have some “volunteer” UNID squash coming up.....first i thought zucchini.....then i thought pumpkin, but we now see that it is developing as acorn squash.

Good luck... let it grow!

Bambam1989

East Texas
..or it could be a hybrid. Since the squash family can cross pollinate with each other if planted too close together. The resulting seed would be a hybrid.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
So now I have to research pumpkin farming as well . Maybe they will be useful by Halloween...!l or at least provide some good greens for my critters.. LOL

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not a plant expert at all, but I've grown pumpkins and that is exactly what they looked like.

Can we see the leaves, vine and blooms?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
That was the only melon and I broke it off the vine looking for others. I gave it to some one as a watermelon and they probably thought I was trying to poison them.. I felt like such an idiot!!

Attachments

• C2106ED3-F907-4F28-8C07-720C362BB9B7.jpeg
    C2106ED3-F907-4F28-8C07-720C362BB9B7.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sure looks like pumpkin to me.

I had never heard that different species would cross pollinate and make hybrids. That's interesting.

@Iochroma What do you think?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
if you google young pumpkin this comes up
upload_2018-6-27_0-3-12.jpeg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Well if I’m lucky, I won’t have to buy pumpkins to carve this year! Thanks y’all for guiding me through my ignorance;)

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I’m guessing immature pumpkin as well. I have some “volunteer” UNID squash coming up.....first i thought zucchini.....then i thought pumpkin, but we now see that it is developing as acorn squash.

Good luck... let it grow!
Maybe we could trade some pumpkin for hybrid squash!!! Lol

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
As someone who grew up eating (and hating) lots of what we kids referred to as “squish,” I can tell you the fruit of a cross pollinated zucchini/pumpkin looks sad and misshapen.

This in no way stops your mother from insisting you eat it.

It still tastes like squish. It took many years before I could appreciate squash of any kind. Still struggling with winter squash.