Name this type of cricket. IF it IS a cricket.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I just encountered an insect I've never seen before. And believe me. I've seen zillions of insects.
Looks pretty much like a standard, dark colored cricket. But is at least twice the size or a "standard" cricket. Maybe 3 times larger. Also, any daytime sighting of any cricket is most unusual.
This thing rapid-fire hopped at least 15" with each hop. And then FLEW and landed on a curb at least 6 feet away. I've never seen a cricket jump so far, so quickly and I've never known one to be able to fly.
I thought it was a locust or maybe a Lubber grasshopper. But was amazed to see what looks like a SUPER CRICKET.
Your thoughts?
This is in PARKLAND FLORIDA.
Broward county

Attachments

• 20231020_172713.jpg
    20231020_172713.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 1

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
It's the same kind we have up here. That one looks to be a female. The males rub their wings together to make the chirping sound, females don't chirp. We also have Camel crickets. Both are very common around here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just encountered an insect I've never seen before. And believe me. I've seen zillions of insects.
Looks pretty much like a standard, dark colored cricket. But is at least twice the size or a "standard" cricket. Maybe 3 times larger. Also, any daytime sighting of any cricket is most unusual.
This thing rapid-fire hopped at least 15" with each hop. And then FLEW and landed on a curb at least 6 feet away. I've never seen a cricket jump so far, so quickly and I've never known one to be able to fly.
I thought it was a locust or maybe a Lubber grasshopper. But was amazed to see what looks like a SUPER CRICKET.
Your thoughts?
Broward county
Black cricket. Acheta assimilis.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Looks like an Ohio cricket to me.😁 They can grow pretty big anyway. I didn't know before TFO how dangerous their breeding can be though to baby tortoises and such. The new baby crickets will swarm a small critter and kill it. I used to tolerate them.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Looks like an Ohio cricket to me.😁 They can grow pretty big anyway. I didn't know before TFO how dangerous their breeding can be though to baby tortoises and such. The new baby crickets will swarm a small critter and kill it. I used to tolerate them.
I've seen "feeder" crickets injure and even kill and eat the lizard that was supposed to eat them

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I've seen "feeder" crickets injure and even kill and eat the lizard that was supposed to eat them
I haven't liked them as a food for baby animals for a long time. Their wings are sharp and cut little baby throats while being swallowed. There's other foods that would work so why take a chance. Unless you want to put the crickets in a blender and I don't want to. 🤔😜

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Your thoughts?
Broward county
Not being a jerk, this is a southern adult cricket whose relatives I fished with longer ago than I'm telling. They're strong. You have to wrestle one on the hook. (Wouldn't be able to stab one these days, earthworms either.)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Crickets can chew on reptiles. When I had to feed them to my various lizards, had to be careful not to leave the uneaten ones in with the lizards or they could chew on the lizards while they slept.