Native species laws? I'm confused

sapphira80

Thanks to all in advance for looking, I hope someone can explain this for me. I've read conflicting information and I'm confused...

To my understanding, it is illegal to own a species of turtle/tortoise that is native to your state. Is that correct? Does this apply to captive bred individuals, or only wild caught? The reason I ask is because I live in Kentucky and I have seen several native species for sale, particularly RES and snapping turtles, both of which are native.

I'm not trying to be a tattletale or a "hater", but the snapping turtle hatchlings in particular make me feel sad. I know more than likely they will be purchased by someone who thinks they are cute or cool, only to be dumped when they get bigger and are difficult to manage, and probably die. I have a suspicion they were captured from the wild as well, although I don't know that for sure.

So anyway, my question is it illegal to own native species period? Or only wild caught native species?

Thank you for your time.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
It depends on the individual state's laws. If no one knows, I'll look later. I don't think I've looked at Kentucky's laws before.

sapphira80

thank you. I've been searching for the info on the laws, but all I can find is info about non-native species, invasive species and native flora.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Direct quite from Kentucky wildlife

• Native reptiles and amphibians
    • Up to five (5) individuals of each species of native reptile or amphibian may be taken year round from the wild, or legally obtained from a breeder, and possessed for personal use without a permit.
    • A captive wildlife permit shall not be required to hold native reptiles with a color morphology that is distinctly different from the wild type of the same species of reptile.
  • To exceed the limitations of these exceptions a captive wildlife permit shall be obtained.
Prohibited Native Wildlife
With limited exemptions the following shall not be imported or possessed:

• Alligator snapping turtle
  • Black bear
  • Copperbelly water snake
  • Cougar or mountain lion
  • Wild turkey
  • Wolf

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In some states it's ok to have native turtles or tortoises with a permit. Each state has their own regulations.

sapphira80

okay thank you all for helping! I will definitely read the full documentation.