1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Natural diet for elongated?

Discussion in 'Elongated and Forsten's tortoises' started by tortoiseowner1010, Jun 21, 2018.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. tortoiseowner1010

tortoiseowner1010 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Asia
    anyone knows what's the natural diet for elongated tortoises? most tortoise resources online only have diet and plants list for grassland tortoises.
  2. Bambam1989

Bambam1989 Well-Known Member

Washington
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hello.
    Elongated torts are omnivores. So there is a huge variety that they can be fed.
    Tort safe weeds, fruits and vegetables like squash, shredded carrots, berries etc. Mushrooms, worms, roaches, slugs, the occasional hard boiled egg even.
    tortoiseowner1010 likes this.
  3. tortoiseowner1010

tortoiseowner1010 New Member

Asia
    Thanks @Bambam1989
    Is the protein 50% of their diet or only a small part like other forest tortoises?
  4. Bambam1989

Bambam1989 Well-Known Member

Washington
    I would probably say more around 25% protein. Although this is only my opinion and others may feel that more or less should be offered.
  5. Mexico

Mexico New Member

Arkansas
    If you're still looking for food suggestions, I used a couple Herp articles, that I probably found links on this site, and looking at care sheets of different Elongata breeders. Personally, my tortoise won't eat any thin grasses or insects for whatever reason, so I stick to broadleaf lettuces, carrots, fruits, collard and turnip greens, a tiny bit of cat food or Zoomed box turtle diet, Maizuri large pellets, mushrooms, and other sundries on a schedule. They can basically eat everything, but if you want to be safe you can check the Tortoise Table website and exclude anything that is high in goitrogens (sp) or hallucinogenic.

-From MattJReptiles (http://mattjreptiles.com/)
    "Natural grasses, true leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, endive, escarole, red-tip leaf lettuce, tomato, small amounts of green beans, yellow squash, small amounts of soaked monkey biscuits and canned cat/dog food (once every four to six weeks), assorted soft fruits (ex. banana, melon, papaya), washed hibiscus leaves and flowers (no pesticides) and fresh cuttle bone."

-Another article. pgs 7 and 10 have diet observations. (https://www.zfmk.de/dateien/atoms/files/ihlow_et_al._2016_indotestudo_elongata.pdf )
    "Captive I. elongata have been reported to accept a number of foods, including: fresh or dried greens (i.e., morning glory, dandelion, kale, collards, alfalfa, clover, plantain, chickweed), vegetables (i.e., bamboo shoots, tomatoes, mushrooms, pumpkin, cucumber, carrot), fruits (i.e., papaya, mango, banana, pitaya), animal matter (i.e., earthworms, snails, shrimp), and commercial tortoise pellets "

-The Cheloian World Trust (http://www.chelonia.org/articles/elongatacare.htm ) listing isn't helpful for diet, but it does have general care instructions.
    tortoiseowner1010 and no one like this.
  6. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

Jamaica
    All those foods sound like the same diet as for the Redfoot tortoise. Also a forest tortoise. I suppose the conditions you keep them in are also just about the same.