natural enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemondog

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
indio ca.
The burrow is 10 ft. long and 6 ft deep,he seems to be done digging (for now)

Attachments

• IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    470 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    492.7 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    425.3 KB · Views: 130

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
lemondog said:

Wow! What species did that? A sulcatta?
How long did it take?

Louise

lemondog

5 Year Member
indio ca.
Tortoise said:
lemondog said:

Wow! What species did that? A sulcatta?
How long did it take?

Louise

Its a 8 year old 40# sulcata I dug half of it he dug the rest in 3 weeks

lemondog

5 Year Member
indio ca.
This is the home of scoutt, 8 year old salcata, the hole is 10 ft. long and 6ft. deep, he has quit digging for now , really hot here 105-118 daytime temp. 80-90 nighttime temp.

Attachments

• IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    470 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    492.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    506.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    425.3 KB · Views: 29

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
make sure it doesnt collapse or flood... if he goes down there and cant get out, or its too cold,, can you get him out?

lemondog

5 Year Member
indio ca.
Laura said:
make sure it doesnt collapse or flood... if he goes down there and cant get out, or its too cold,, can you get him out?

The first 4 or 5 ft, of the enclosure I can get to in secs. No way of it colapsing it has t least 6 ft. of top soil here, he is probably going to spend the winter in there to, ave winter temp. here is 50 night 70-75 day..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow, Glen! Looks like Scout is making himself right at home! :p

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
lemondog said:
This is the home of scoutt, 8 year old salcata, the hole is 10 ft. long and 6ft. deep, he has quit digging for now , really hot here 105-118 daytime temp. 80-90 nighttime temp.

Scoutt looks great, I bet he enjoyed his excavating-be cool to see a big tortoise like that in action-I love those guys, so impressive!
maybe someone put something on UTUBE?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I love a great burrow :p I have a question though, in pic two, is that a pvc irrigation line I see towards the left of the pic? Awesome entrance cover as well :D

lemondog

5 Year Member
indio ca.
ascott said:
I love a great burrow :p I have a question though, in pic two, is that a pvc irrigation line I see towards the left of the pic? Awesome entrance cover as well :D

Yes that is a line for my lawn sprinklers, glad he went under it instead of through it.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
lemondog said:
ascott said:

Yes that is a line for my lawn sprinklers, glad he went under it instead of through it.

:)...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi Lemondog, the only reason I asked about the irrigation line in the pic is that I use to work at a wildlife/camping park, at this park there is a healthy population of gophers and squirrels, which both live in burrows...now the problem with the burrows is that if any type of water gets down into that open space/albeit a burrow, and then cold air follows we would have broken waterlines...and live broken/cracked irrigation lines can cause a bit of water flow...so my question was simply of concern is all....I don't know exactly where you live (winter temps/rain and the combination of the two) to know if you are subject to relatively cold/wet in the winter months or not...I imagine if so you likely shut down your irrigation during the winter months.... :D

lemondog

5 Year Member
indio ca.
ascott said:
Hi Lemondog, the only reason I asked about the irrigation line in the pic is that I use to work at a wildlife/camping park, at this park there is a healthy population of gophers and squirrels, which both live in burrows...now the problem with the burrows is that if any type of water gets down into that open space/albeit a burrow, and then cold air follows we would have broken waterlines...and live broken/cracked irrigation lines can cause a bit of water flow...so my question was simply of concern is all....I don't know exactly where you live (winter temps/rain and the combination of the two) to know if you are subject to relatively cold/wet in the winter months or not...I imagine if so you likely shut down your irrigation during the winter months.... :D

Actually I dont live far from you, I am in Indio ca. It got pretty cold this winter 19 degrees one night which is very unusual, we get about 2 in of rain a year, I put the A frame over the hole to keep the water out, in fact my sprinkler water doent even go in, I do hose the inside of the borrow once a week to keep the humidity up

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh yeah, you don't live too far from here :D

I think I explained my concern wrong, sorry? I was referring to what a bunch of water would do if that pvc line broke/cracked during inclement weather...I don't know how deep that line is in relation to where your guy is? You know what I mean...? After working where I did I had to constantly repair broken/cracked irrigation lines and witnessed the flooding that happens when the lines are damaged plus...I am a huge worry wart, so I was just OCD'ing when I saw the line....I did not mean any harm LOL... really :D

That is an awesome burrow...that is for certain :D

Status
Not open for further replies.