Russian Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maceon279

5 Year Member
My lil' Russian Tort seems to be doing fine short term with Repti - Bark and coconut coir. Any health problems or potential hazards I should worry about. He also tends to bury any of his food he hasn't eaten. Apparently it does keep the food cooler than the tank and not dry. Is his enclosure also big enough? It is 2 1/2 ft L x 1 ft W x 1 ft H.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
The substrate is fine, I use plain coco- coir inside, but I believe mixing it with the bark is fine. I would also pick out uneaten food after he is done so that it does not smell, attract flies/gnats, start to rot/mold. For the size it depends on how big the tortoise is? Russians like to roam and in the wild would roam miles a day so it is best to give them as much space as you can as adults, I don't know if there is a real "minimum" space but if I had to say probably around 8ft x 4ft is a decent indoor size for a single adult. If your tort is younger then smaller is ok for now but I would plan out a nice big one for him, plus a nice outdoor pen as well.

Maceon279

5 Year Member
jjsull33 said:
The substrate is fine, I use plain coco- coir inside, but I believe mixing it with the bark is fine. I would also pick out uneaten food after he is done so that it does not smell, attract flies/gnats, start to rot/mold. For the size it depends on how big the tortoise is? Russians like to roam and in the wild would roam miles a day so it is best to give them as much space as you can as adults, I don't know if there is a real "minimum" space but if I had to say probably around 8ft x 4ft is a decent indoor size for a single adult. If your tort is younger then smaller is ok for now but I would plan out a nice big one for him, plus a nice outdoor pen as well.

Dont have that big of an area I live in an apartment and my tortoise tends to sleep but he is very active at night. he is about 4 inches across and is roughly 3 years old. I try to take out the food. He is a big eater.

Status
Not open for further replies.