Baby leopard tortise substrate

Roguetortise

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello I’ve had my first baby leopard tortoise a little over 2 weeks and they’re about 2 months old. I want to make sure the substrate I have is okay. I have some coco coir on the side with his hose house and basking area which he seems to love to lay in. I have some Cyprus mulch but some pieces seem a little to thin. The smaller pieces seem to stick to him after a soak or if he goes in his water dish. Also when I’ve scooped it I can feel it poking me, a piece got stuck in my finger. I want to make sure if this is okay or I should find a newer substrate. Any specific substrate recommendations? Or is what I am using okay. I just want to make sure it’s not harming him when it sticks or has the potential to cause any issues.
I worry about him constantly to make sure he’s happy and healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_7182.jpeg
    IMG_7182.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7181.jpeg
    IMG_7181.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I don't use cypress mulch; coir or fir bark are better choices.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is fine but I like coconut coir better. That baby needs to be in a closed chamber enclosure with 80% humidity.
The water dish, if it's the stone looking one and is a ramp, needs replacing ASAP. The dish with a ramp is a tipping and drowning hazard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello I’ve had my first baby leopard tortoise a little over 2 weeks and they’re about 2 months old. I want to make sure the substrate I have is okay. I have some coco coir on the side with his hose house and basking area which he seems to love to lay in. I have some Cyprus mulch but some pieces seem a little to thin. The smaller pieces seem to stick to him after a soak or if he goes in his water dish. Also when I’ve scooped it I can feel it poking me, a piece got stuck in my finger. I want to make sure if this is okay or I should find a newer substrate. Any specific substrate recommendations? Or is what I am using okay. I just want to make sure it’s not harming him when it sticks or has the potential to cause any issues.
I worry about him constantly to make sure he’s happy and healthy.
Either of those should be fine and not harm him, but I prefer orchid bark, aka: fir bark.

Give this a read through and look for the sulcata and leopard care sheet near the bottom:

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I use cypress under and top off with fir bark easier on the tort and easier on your wallet if you are on the east coast