Baby Sulcatas substrate

kyel3840

Location (City and/or State)
Bethany , Oklahoma
Hello. I bought some forest floor and some organic potting mix to mix together and use for the substrate for my new baby sulcatas. Is this okay to use these two. I'm new to tortoises so any advice is appreciated

P

pguinpro

The organic potting soil can sometimes contain things that are bad like forest products containing pine. Forest floor is great, if you do use the potting soil make sure there is no peralite or fertilizers and put it as the base layer where your tort can't get in to it. Or you can buy other types of stuff like coconut coir, which I think is kind of messy, or cypress mulch.

kyel3840

Bethany , Oklahoma
Okay. I looked on the bag and it contained peralite. They have only been on it for a few hours. I just removed it and put only forest floor in it for now with some sphagnum moss in the hide. Hopefully that is okay

P

pguinpro

Okay. I looked on the bag and it contained peralite. They have only been on it for a few hours. I just removed it and put only forest floor in it for now with some sphagnum moss in the hide. Hopefully that is okay
I've only had a sulcata tort since May but I'm sure others will have more specific info. I use cypress mulch and lugatti natural reptile bedding when I can afford it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
"Forest Floor" is okay, but not my favorite. And its expensive from the pet store. Soil should never be used. Moss will be eaten and it can cause an impaction. I'd remove that too.

Fine grade orchid bark works best. It can be purchased cheaper and in bulk at garden centers or nurseries. OSH carries it in 1.0 cu.ft. bags, but Home Depot and Lowes usually don't carry it.