RF Substrate

Kasper2reds

5 Year Member
Hello,

i recently built a 4x8 enclosure for my 2 juvy redfoods. they are currently in a 2x4 enclosure that is filled with forest floor woodchips from the pet store. seeing as this new enclosure is 4 times the sq footage as the old, does anyone have any recommendations for substrate that is a bit cheaper than the forest floor bedding at the pet store? that stuff goes for almost 20 dollars a bag, and i will probably need 6 or 7 bags.

any advice would be appreciated!

thanks,
Kasper

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
Kasper2reds said:
Hello,

i recently built a 4x8 enclosure for my 2 juvy redfoods. they are currently in a 2x4 enclosure that is filled with forest floor woodchips from the pet store. seeing as this new enclosure is 4 times the sq footage as the old, does anyone have any recommendations for substrate that is a bit cheaper than the forest floor bedding at the pet store? that stuff goes for almost 20 dollars a bag, and i will probably need 6 or 7 bags.

thanks,
Kasper

I put organic non fertilized top soil down, then bought forest floor and coconut coir on amazon at a pretty good price. Try Amazon. :)

Kasper2reds

5 Year Member
christinaland128 said:
Kasper2reds said:
Hello,

thanks,
Kasper

I put organic non fertilized top soil down, then bought forest floor and coconut coir on amazon at a pretty good price. Try Amazon. :)

Did you have any issues with bugs in the topsoil? I tried that a couple years ago and found it crawling with these annoying little white bugs.

You can buy 24 qt bags of coco coir at petmountain.com. Their best deal is 72 qt for 39.00 [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Kasper2reds

5 Year Member
Finished product, thanks for your input!ImageUploadedByTortForum1396282103.399851.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: