Natural weed killer

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Hey anybody have a natural weed killer? I am not going to spray the area where Opo eats or lives. 2 sides of my yard slope down. This will also be on the outside of the fence. I just wanted to use something that would be safe. @Yvonne G I read a post I had come across. Where you posted a mixture with vinegar and a few other ingredients. You hadn't tried it yet but said you were gonna try it. I cant find that post now.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoises are natural weed killers! :D

I pull weeds that I don't want out by hand. It goes surprisingly fast. A hula hoe covers larger areas faster and works well to kill smaller freshly sprouted weeds.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
My tortoises are natural weed killers! :D

I pull weeds that I don't want out by hand. It goes surprisingly fast. A hula hoe covers larger areas faster and works well to kill smaller freshly sprouted weeds.
I agree in Opo's area I wouldn't use anything. It's the vacant land I have on 2 sides. The slope is sharp because they bring in 3 to 4 feet of fill before building a house. So my property is higher. I wish the owner would sell the property. So I could buy it.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I know I'm going to sound like a broken record, but it's worth asking your County Extension Office for suggestions. I don't work for them, nor am I paid by them, but I'm a big fan of them and what they do. :)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I know I'm going to sound like a broken record, but it's worth asking your County Extension Office for suggestions. I don't work for them, nor am I paid by them, but I'm a big fan of them and what they do. :)
Thanks again I am glad you posted again. I am going to write it down this time.

organicgardenfan

Surrey
There are a couple of things you can do to check if the ingredients listed are safe and can be used around pets. EPA has a list that they maintain which provides all Active Ingredients Eligible for Minimum Risk Pesticide Products - it's fairly comprehensive and a lot of the products are essential oils. If the active ingredient is generally recognized as safe (GRAS), it's fairly safe for most 4 legged friends.
OMRI is also a great place to start, and has a list of organic weed killers. Again, always read and follow the label before using the product, and do your own research. I actually wrote a blog piece on how to find a pet safe weed killer - give it a read, it's about 8 min.
Hope this helps.