neck looks funny

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
I just went to check on Tuxy, male russian. He was sleeping and when I looked at him his neck looked funny. He was right under the backing light in his spot. the moisture is good, he did a good poop and pee in his bath this morning. it is on both sides of his neck. like a bubble. I tried a forum search and found that males have a gland . Is this all I am seeing. thank you again :( he did not eat this morning but that is normal for him. he likes to eat around 5 and 8 pm. neck.jpg

Heather H

N.E. ohio
@Tom what do you think. I looked at the care sheets and everywhere could not find anything.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll need a better look at it. Could possible be tympanic abscess.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If that's what it is (this is only a guess), it is an infection.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
closeup.jpg underside.jpg closeup.jpg now his eye is watery and closed. :( no runny nose or bubbles. @Yvonne G are these pics any better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Still kind of blurry, but I'm pretty sure now that your tortoise has TWO tympanic abscesses. They need to be lanced by a vet. The lumps you see on the outside are twice as big on the inside and they inhibit the tortoise's ability to swallow food. The vet will lance them and give you some antibiotics.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like I said, it's an infection. Probably has been living in unhealthy conditions.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Possibly bad conditions before you got him. Tortoises hide when they are sick for a long time often.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
the soonest I can get him in to the vet is monday. what should I do between now and then?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I hope he's okay!

I googled tympanic abscesses because, hey, I don't know what that is, and it looks like those are all in the ear. Looks like this tortoises neck is where all the lumps are (but the pictures are blurry, so I don't know for sure). Can the infection spread to the neck?

(Just curious)

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I hope he's okay!

I googled tympanic abscesses because, hey, I don't know what that is, and it looks like those are all in the ear. Looks like this tortoises neck is where all the lumps are (but the pictures are blurry, so I don't know for sure). Can the infection spread to the neck?

(Just curious)
I will let you know Monday. Thank you