Need A Wonderful New Parent for Baby Sulcata--Utah

MollyB

Location (City and/or State)
West Jordan, Utah
I was suddenly a new mom to a baby Sulcata, having half an hour to decide! Not knowing what I was doing, I bought the Tortoise Table (WRONG), etc. I now know that my sweet baby needs humidity and has other needs that I'm unable to give him. I've had Donny for almost 3 months.
He's about 5 months old (I think). He has slight pyramiding due to the dry conditions he's had since birth (from what I can gather). He eats well, very active, enjoys digging, and LOVES his soaks. He likes to be petted and has the funniest attitude! This is breaking my heart! I've never given a pet away. I'm the "cradle to the grave" type of person. But after being on this amazing Forum I now know he needs and DESERVES the best care. He's so incredibly sweet. I'm bawling as I write this. 💔
I live in West Jordan, Utah. Donny needs a terrific parent(s) ASAP. He needs someone on this Forum. Thank you. 💝

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Since I've been on here I've seen the staff write something similar to this:

Please be wary and ask lots of questions to a perspective owner. People come out of the woodwork to adopt tortoises and then sell them.

Someone will adopt him. Are you willing to ship him or you would prefer local?

Are you selling or giving to new home?

I feel for you. I know this must be so hard you're going to make me cry. You know I've never cried over any pet like this before. Every time I see a tortoise I see a little being. They must have little tortoise souls! Just so sweet and innocent.

MollyB

West Jordan, Utah
Since I've been on here I've seen the staff write something similar to this:

Please be wary and ask lots of questions to a perspective owner. People come out of the woodwork to adopt tortoises and then sell them.

Someone will adopt him. Are you willing to ship him or you would prefer local?

Are you selling or giving to new home?

I feel for you. I know this must be so hard you're going to make me cry. You know I've never cried over any pet like this before. Every time I see a tortoise I see a little being. They must have little tortoise souls! Just so sweet and innocent.
Thank you so much for the advice!
I'm not selling him since I didn't buy him.
I'd rather Donny be adopted locally.
🥺

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Thank you so much for the advice!
I'm not selling him since I didn't buy him.
I'd rather Donny be adopted locally.
🥺
We have another thread where a very upset tort mom had to give hers up as well. Turns out the mother and son that adopted the tort lives 5 minutes away from her. She was very happy and can also visit. That was a nice turn out.

It will be ok. You made it on here, you're doing the right thing for your situation. 💕

You will also be making someone else very happy.

MollyB

West Jordan, Utah
We have another thread where a very upset tort mom had to give hers up as well. Turns out the mother and son that adopted the tort lives 5 minutes away from her. She was very happy and can also visit. That was a nice turn out.

It will be ok. You made it on here, you're doing the right thing for your situation. 💕

You will also be making someone else very happy.
That's wonderful to hear! To be able to visit, photos, and videos would be incredible. 💝

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
If someone is willing to drive, that would work. I'm just unable to do that at this point in time.

I would say keep trying. Its just really hard - as someone else mentioned, its like trying to place a feral cat. Way more need homes than people who want them. People can just easily get one online on craigslist or one of the zillion brokers/sellers online, so there just isn't a demand for a tortoise that will grow to be what could be as difficult to keep as a Pony.

MollyB

West Jordan, Utah
I would say keep trying. Its just really hard - as someone else mentioned, its like trying to place a feral cat. Way more need homes than people who want them. People can just easily get one online on craigslist or one of the zillion brokers/sellers online, so there just isn't a demand for a tortoise that will grow to be what could be as difficult to keep as a Pony.
Oh, I'm definitely going to keep trying. He needs the best love and care. Thank you for all the advice. I do appreciate it. From everyone.

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Really? How is it done?
I can find out. My friend ordered hers online so they are shipped often.

If you can't find anyone closer, I would be more than happy to adopt the baby. We have 1 almost 6 year old sulcata that is only about 5 pounds. He was a rescue. Wasn't eating or moving really when we got him. He's growing like a little monster now. I need to post another update on him. Just found out he was a boy. I still call him Pinky lol

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles

If you can't find anyone closer, I would be more than happy to adopt the baby. We have 1 almost 6 year old sulcata that is only about 5 pounds. He was a rescue. Wasn't eating or moving really when we got him. He's growing like a little monster now. I need to post another update on him. Just found out he was a boy. I still call him Pinky lol

there are people here who have done it. Maybe @Tom @zovick @DoubleD1996! or @pacific chelonians .

just make sure to keep them separate!

MollyB

West Jordan, Utah

How sweet! I've seen your posts! Where are you located?