Need advice (constipated?)

er9m

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
EU
Hello, I have sick Russian tortoise. He's male. I have my pet for already about 30 years. He was always kept in my room free, because lack of understanding and that he was hyperactive (as i say "he was climbing walls" and so on). Now about five months ago, he became very inactive, although summer was very hot. At first i thought he was hiding himself for a cooler place, but i was wrong. Later he became to drag his legs and twist his tail, it seems, that he is trying to poop, but he can't. Although he poops and urinates, but hardly and rare than before. His eyes became sunk. We went to vet a few months ago. An x-ray, blood test, morphology was made. No bladder stone or something, just sick kidney and liveries were found. I left him at hospital, so vet could take a treatment. As i took him back, at first he was slightly better, then worse. I took him again to vet after about a month, the vet did the blood test again and it was worse. I left him again at hospital, and recently took him back. Now from first sight (i mean eyes) he is looking better, but when he moves it's worse. He is barely moving, dragging his legs and twisting tail. Raising his back, like trying to poop or urinate but it's very hard for him. He's strong, always was, but i see, that he is worse. He eats less than before. I think, i'm loosing him. The only thing, that i do now for him is constant bathing. Providing UV lamp, infrared, heating mat. Bought him a terrarium. Can you, please, give me some advice for treating him further? How can i help him more? I love him very much, and i panic about that it's too late to save him. I believe and vet thinks, that his kidney become bigger and began pushing his nerves, which is responsible for legs. Is it possible for recovery? Thank you very much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Find someone who grows the aloe vera plant to feed him. Sounds like he's been dehydrated for such a long time that all the feces inside him has turned hard and he can't get it out. If you can't find aloe vera, feed him cucumber. Wet foods along with long soaks in a small tub he can't climb out of should help rehydrate him.

er9m

5 Year Member
EU
Thank you, Yvonne, for your support. The cucumber for him is like air. I used to give it frequently, until i realized, that it is not the best diet. Now i try to give cucumber as less as possible. Ok, i'll will try to find out who grows aloe vera. But when again, i think, even if my pet will eat it, it won't help. Because, in my opinion, the main problem is enlarged kidney. As vet said, he was pooping at hospital, so it wasn't very long ago. Also as i tried to feed him today, his eyes were closing time after time. Again, nothing but the cucumber was, that he ate today.